Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default Vacuum pump question

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 04:19:41 GMT, "Steve R." wrote:

I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

I used a spare vacuum pump a few years ago rather than suck on a pipe
to assist in syphoning some petrol. I didn't use a fluid trap but
turned off the pump as soon as soon as I possibly could - despite that
a tiny, minscule drop of fuel somehow reached the pump. Nothing, not
even multiple changes of oil would make the whiff of petrol go away
every time the pump was used (for composites consolidation). In the
end a full strip and seal change was necessary.