Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Paint sprayer/power roller: Wagner vs. Graco?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Wagner has this new model, which I saw at Costco for $220:

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...01719,747.html

Home Depot sells a Graco Magnum DX

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0067

The user reviews for the latter give it 4.8 out of 5, but are there
any comments from people on this ng who have used it?

I know some people suggest renting a heavy-duty machine, but all I see
at our local rental place is a Graco for $110/day, and I don't know
how long it's going to take me to do the whole outside of a house --
learning curve and all that. IAC, the machine available for rent seems
to be a sprayer only, and I think (but I could be wrong) that a roller
might work better for the grooved plywood siding we have -- and a
roller might be easier not to make a horrible mess with.

For that much money you can buy a (smallish) air compressor and the parts
for a spray application.

I would think that spraying would be better for grooved plywood than a
roller. Spraying is certainly less work.

You'll also want a hand-held masking shield. They look like a pizza oven
paddle, only not as long. You put it up to the brick or other area you don't
want sprayed, apply the paint, and move on.

As an aside, here's a trick I found useful. When choosing a color, pick one
from the spray-can selection that's close to what you want. Spray some on a
bit of wood, then tell the guy at the paint counter to match the color. What
you end up with is the ability to touch-up your work in the future by using
what's in the spray can: a screw or nail head, electrical conduit or breaker
box, a ding from the lawnmower, a replacement facia board, whatever.