Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint sprayer/power roller: Wagner vs. Graco?

Wagner has this new model, which I saw at Costco for $220:

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...01719,747.html

Home Depot sells a Graco Magnum DX

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0067

The user reviews for the latter give it 4.8 out of 5, but are there any
comments from people on this ng who have used it?

I know some people suggest renting a heavy-duty machine, but all I see
at our local rental place is a Graco for $110/day, and I don't know how
long it's going to take me to do the whole outside of a house --
learning curve and all that. IAC, the machine available for rent seems
to be a sprayer only, and I think (but I could be wrong) that a roller
might work better for the grooved plywood siding we have -- and a roller
might be easier not to make a horrible mess with.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Wagner has this new model, which I saw at Costco for $220:

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...01719,747.html

Home Depot sells a Graco Magnum DX

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0067

The user reviews for the latter give it 4.8 out of 5, but are there any
comments from people on this ng who have used it?

I know some people suggest renting a heavy-duty machine, but all I see at
our local rental place is a Graco for $110/day, and I don't know how long
it's going to take me to do the whole outside of a house --
learning curve and all that. IAC, the machine available for rent seems to
be a sprayer only, and I think (but I could be wrong) that a roller might
work better for the grooved plywood siding we have -- and a roller might
be easier not to make a horrible mess with.

Perce

The rental Graco is a top notch professional unit that sells for $700 or so.

As for the two you are interested in, Graco has an excellent reputation for
professional sprayers. Wagner has a terrible reputation for making crap in
the consumer line. These two units may not fall into either category, bit
I'd still take a Graco first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:43:24 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

the machine available for rent seems
to be a sprayer only, and I think (but I could be wrong) that a roller
might work better for the grooved plywood siding we have -- and a roller
might be easier not to make a horrible mess with.

You can use a roller on the grooved plywood. You can also spray it, by
renting a Graco XR9. In both cases, have a paint brush ready and handy
for touch-up.

I paint by hand before I would spend a penny on a waggler sprayer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Wagner has this new model, which I saw at Costco for $220:

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...01719,747.html

Home Depot sells a Graco Magnum DX

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0067

The user reviews for the latter give it 4.8 out of 5, but are there any
comments from people on this ng who have used it?

I know some people suggest renting a heavy-duty machine, but all I see at
our local rental place is a Graco for $110/day, and I don't know how long
it's going to take me to do the whole outside of a house --
learning curve and all that. IAC, the machine available for rent seems to
be a sprayer only, and I think (but I could be wrong) that a roller might
work better for the grooved plywood siding we have -- and a roller might
be easier not to make a horrible mess with.

Perce

I bought a Graco XR7 on ebay for $250. It was used, but only slightly. I
have used it to paint house interiors, exteriors, stucco walls, and block
walls. A good airless is the cat's meow. BUT not for everything. You have
a ton of overspray, so spraying during construction or spraying outside is
about all you can use them for. They will put paint on fast, and it is good
to have someone with a thick nap roller to backroll at the same time.

Save your money on a Wagner. They are a toy that will soon wear out or just
quit.

My Graco wouldn't work. I disassembled the pump myself and discovered that
over time, layers of paint had hardened in the inside. I cleaned it out,
and it works like a charm. I don't think Wagner even has any use
serviceable parts.

Buying a pump roller may be okay if you were going to do a lot of it. I
investigated it, and found out that I could actually do it with regular hand
equipment in about the same time and for a lot less. And waste less paint.

YMMV

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Wagner has this new model, which I saw at Costco for $220:

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...01719,747.html

Home Depot sells a Graco Magnum DX

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0067

The user reviews for the latter give it 4.8 out of 5, but are there any
comments from people on this ng who have used it?

I know some people suggest renting a heavy-duty machine, but all I see
at our local rental place is a Graco for $110/day, and I don't know how
long it's going to take me to do the whole outside of a house --
learning curve and all that. IAC, the machine available for rent seems
to be a sprayer only, and I think (but I could be wrong) that a roller
might work better for the grooved plywood siding we have -- and a roller
might be easier not to make a horrible mess with.

Perce

Wagner is a toy low quality line made for the big box mart.

Graco does make quality stuff. The big box version may be a toy version
so I would check if their version is the same as the rental version.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 6:43*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Wagner has this new model, which I saw at Costco for $220:

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...pray,201719,74...

Home Depot sells a Graco Magnum DX

*http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?lan....

The user reviews for the latter give it 4.8 out of 5, but are there any
comments from people on this ng who have used it?

I know some people suggest renting a heavy-duty machine, but all I see
at our local rental place is a Graco for $110/day, and I don't know how
long it's going to take me to do the whole outside of a house --
learning curve and all that. IAC, the machine available for rent seems
to be a sprayer only, and I think (but I could be wrong) that a roller
might work better for the grooved plywood siding we have -- and a roller
might be easier not to make a horrible mess with.

Perce

For siding spraying is best. Renting a unit is not a good idea unless
it is a small house and you know what you are doing, you must spray
without wind and cover what you dont want sprayed, some houses are not
worth spraying because of size, trim, neighbors, wind etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Wagner has this new model, which I saw at Costco for $220:

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...01719,747.html

Home Depot sells a Graco Magnum DX

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0067

The user reviews for the latter give it 4.8 out of 5, but are there
any comments from people on this ng who have used it?

I know some people suggest renting a heavy-duty machine, but all I see
at our local rental place is a Graco for $110/day, and I don't know
how long it's going to take me to do the whole outside of a house --
learning curve and all that. IAC, the machine available for rent seems
to be a sprayer only, and I think (but I could be wrong) that a roller
might work better for the grooved plywood siding we have -- and a
roller might be easier not to make a horrible mess with.

For that much money you can buy a (smallish) air compressor and the parts
for a spray application.

I would think that spraying would be better for grooved plywood than a
roller. Spraying is certainly less work.

You'll also want a hand-held masking shield. They look like a pizza oven
paddle, only not as long. You put it up to the brick or other area you don't
want sprayed, apply the paint, and move on.

As an aside, here's a trick I found useful. When choosing a color, pick one
from the spray-can selection that's close to what you want. Spray some on a
bit of wood, then tell the guy at the paint counter to match the color. What
you end up with is the ability to touch-up your work in the future by using
what's in the spray can: a screw or nail head, electrical conduit or breaker
box, a ding from the lawnmower, a replacement facia board, whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/10/08 09:36 am HeyBub wrote:

[...]

At first I though this was a good idea, but, after a year or two of
exposure to the elements, the paint on the house may be significantly
different in color from that in the spray can -- and even from what's
left over from what I actually used on the house.

Perce