Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default PICTURES -- Hydraulic assist for the arbor press

On 2008-03-09, JR North wrote:
Nice press. but it looks like the jack is also attempting to lift the
press off the bench. Shouldn't the jack be sitting on a common plate the
press is bolted to, or am I seeing the pic wrong? It looks like the jack
is resting on the bench top.

The press is bolted to the table. The table has a 1/4" thick top. The
bolts are 7/16"thick grade 5. As I said, I now think that doing what I
did, was a mistake.

Dweller in th ecellar

Ignoramus1775 wrote:
On the Famco webpage, I saw arbor presses similar in size and frame to
mine, but with ratcheting mechanism, that were rated up to 8 tons. (3
1/2-C). So I thought how to get a little more force from my press, and
decided to try a hydraulic jack. I bought the smallest rated jack (4
tons) at Harbor Freight for $12.99.

I calculated that with moderate effort, and only half length of the
handle, the press produces about 8-10 tons of effort when assisted
with the jack.

See pix here.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...raulic-Assist/

It does not seem to be damaging the ratcheting mechanism.

You can get the same effects (more force/broken press) simplier and easier
by just putting a long extension on the lever. Not that anyone would ever
actually do such a thing. [:)].

Don Young