Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default American wages

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:06:34 -0800 (PST), Millwright Ron
wrote:

So you think that Union labor controls the economy.It is not labor
but
greed.

snip
===========
FWIW
Costly where it counts
Some things are getting cheaper. But that's the stuff we can do
without
By Peter Y. Hong, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
March 9, 2008
snip
Average weekly earnings in the private sector in 2007 were 15%
below the 1972 peak in real terms, according to the Bureau of
Labor Statistics.

Along with falling wages, we're paying more for benefits. Health
insurance premiums rose 78% from 2002 to 2007, according to the
Kaiser Family Foundation.

Retirement costs more as well. We spent 4% more on pensions and
Social Security in 2005 than in 1990 in real terms, census
figures show.

And we're spending a lot more on education. Yearly total costs at
some elite private colleges now exceed the U.S. median household
income. Many public universities have steadily increased their
prices too, and at UCLA, students shell out more for parking
($225 a quarter) and textbooks (more than $100 for a single tome
in many classes) than generations of students paid for tuition at
University of California campuses in the first half of the 20th
century.
snip
for complete article see
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...=1&cset= true