Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_9_] Frank[_9_] is offline

Default Maytag washer/dryer

"lew" wrote in message
Wanted to post a message regarding Maytag. We sold our 35 year old Maytag
washer when we sold our house. Because of this history, 18 months ago we
purchased mid-line washer and dryer. Both have been repaired several
times. Now out of warantee, the washer floods the floor on any large load.
Repairman says it's our fault. Dryer squeaks like a banchee. Maytag says
"too bad". BEWARE.

No longer manufactured, could you still buy a Maytag? I must agree, our
first Maytag lasted well over 20 years but our 3 year old Maytag washer will
be on the third water pump - just junk. This is not unique to Maytag, you'll
found other brands reliability are not much better. My GE stainless steel
refrigerator lasted only about 1.5 years but fortunately its on a recall and
was fixed free. Otherwise, the GE service call would be something like $150
for travel plus $150 for diagnostic plus $120 for the part for a total of
$420 - ouch! The motor on our top rated Kenmore dryer gave up just after the
one year warranty. That Kenmore now is on the third motor in three years and
something else crapped out again just a few months ago. The new stuff is not
reliable, regardless how much it cost.

My dad's Zenith b&w tv from the late 1950's lasted over 30 years, our old
Maytag washers and dryers lasted almost forever, my aunt still has the 1950s
vintage Frigidaire refrigerator in the kitchen. They don't make them like
they used to.