Posted to alt.home.repair
lew lew is offline

Default Maytag washer/dryer

Wanted to post a message regarding Maytag. We sold our 35 year old Maytag
washer when we sold our house. Because of this history, 18 months ago we
purchased mid-line washer and dryer. Both have been repaired several times.
Now out of warantee, the washer floods the floor on any large load.
Repairman says it's our fault. Dryer squeaks like a banchee. Maytag says
"too bad". BEWARE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lew" wrote in message
Now out of warantee, the washer floods the floor on any large load.
Repairman says it's our fault.

Did he give you specifics? Must be a reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"lew" wrote in message
Now out of warantee, the washer floods the floor on any large load.
Repairman says it's our fault.

Did he give you specifics? Must be a reason.

We had bad experiences with our Maytag, too - less than a year old -
frequent but intermittent leaks - 6 service calls - it wasn't overloaded,
it was level, yadda, yadda, yadda - FINALLY the last repair tech, noticed
two or three drops of oil on the floor under the washer - he ordered a
replacement transmission - BINGO - not a problem since. His thought was
that the transmission was "slipping" causing the tub to go into it's spin
routine before all the water was pumped out, and some of the water was
getting slung out over the top of the tub when it went to spin. He also
told us to NOT open the top when it was on the drain cycle, just before it
went to spin - he said that he had seen that cause the transmission to
"jump" into spin before all the water was pumped out.

All in all, next time I'll buy something better - the "quality" on these
models sucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lew" wrote in message
Wanted to post a message regarding Maytag. We sold our 35 year old Maytag
washer when we sold our house. Because of this history, 18 months ago we
purchased mid-line washer and dryer. Both have been repaired several
times. Now out of warantee, the washer floods the floor on any large load.
Repairman says it's our fault. Dryer squeaks like a banchee. Maytag says
"too bad". BEWARE.

No longer manufactured, could you still buy a Maytag? I must agree, our
first Maytag lasted well over 20 years but our 3 year old Maytag washer will
be on the third water pump - just junk. This is not unique to Maytag, you'll
found other brands reliability are not much better. My GE stainless steel
refrigerator lasted only about 1.5 years but fortunately its on a recall and
was fixed free. Otherwise, the GE service call would be something like $150
for travel plus $150 for diagnostic plus $120 for the part for a total of
$420 - ouch! The motor on our top rated Kenmore dryer gave up just after the
one year warranty. That Kenmore now is on the third motor in three years and
something else crapped out again just a few months ago. The new stuff is not
reliable, regardless how much it cost.

My dad's Zenith b&w tv from the late 1950's lasted over 30 years, our old
Maytag washers and dryers lasted almost forever, my aunt still has the 1950s
vintage Frigidaire refrigerator in the kitchen. They don't make them like
they used to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lew" wrote in message
Wanted to post a message regarding Maytag. We sold our 35 year old Maytag
washer when we sold our house. Because of this history, 18 months ago we
purchased mid-line washer and dryer. Both have been repaired several
times. Now out of warantee, the washer floods the floor on any large load.
Repairman says it's our fault. Dryer squeaks like a banchee. Maytag says
"too bad". BEWARE.

We bought our maytag five years ago. The bearing and seal kit went out.
Maytag says no warranty because its not part of the transmission. Had
serviceman check it and said the parts are all Norge. So what did I buy,
certainly not a Maytag. Only the little plate on the top tha said Maytag.
NO more maytag for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mary anne" wrote in message
We bought our maytag five years ago. The bearing and seal kit went out.
Maytag says no warranty because its not part of the transmission. Had
serviceman check it and said the parts are all Norge. So what did I buy,
certainly not a Maytag. Only the little plate on the top tha said Maytag.
NO more maytag for me.

Intermingling of parts is becoming more common at brands are bought out and
merged under one corporate roof. Hopefully that Norge stuff was the better
quality of the group, but most likely it was the cheapest.

There was a time when Frigidaire was part of General Motors and was a top
name in appliances. The name has been sold and whored many times in the past
20 or so years and is now just a made cheap appliance owned by a foreign
company.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

"lew" wrote in message
Wanted to post a message regarding Maytag. We sold our 35 year old Maytag
washer when we sold our house. Because of this history, 18 months ago we
purchased mid-line washer and dryer. Both have been repaired several
times. Now out of warantee, the washer floods the floor on any large load.
Repairman says it's our fault. Dryer squeaks like a banchee. Maytag says
"too bad". BEWARE.

According to Consumer Reports, Maytag appliance have one of the worst repair
records, meaning, their products are in for repairs more than others.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 8, 4:27*pm, "lew" wrote:
Wanted to post a message regarding Maytag. *We sold our 35 year old Maytag
washer when we sold our house. *Because of this history, 18 months ago we
purchased mid-line washer and dryer. *Both have been repaired several times.
Now out of warantee, the washer floods the floor on any large load.
Repairman says it's our fault. *Dryer squeaks like a banchee. *Maytag says
"too bad". * BEWARE.

That's why we spent $200 for a new motor for our 1974 Maytag, Too bad
appliance makers haven't had the talent to build in longevity and
reliability into their products like the automakers.

Joe