Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default PICTURES -- Hydraulic assist for the arbor press

Rod wrote:
Ignoramus1775 wrote:

On the Famco webpage, I saw arbor presses similar in size and frame to
mine, but with ratcheting mechanism, that were rated up to 8 tons. (3
1/2-C). So I thought how to get a little more force from my press, and
decided to try a hydraulic jack. I bought the smallest rated jack (4
tons) at Harbor Freight for $12.99.
I calculated that with moderate effort, and only half length of the
handle, the press produces about 8-10 tons of effort when assisted
with the jack.
See pix here.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...raulic-Assist/

It does not seem to be damaging the ratcheting mechanism.

LOL. Stuporamous seems more appropriate.

Your operating outside its design limits.
If you continue to overload it its going to eventually crack the frame
somewhere.
you may have seen some the same size but higher tonnage rated.
the metal frame may then have been of cast steel instead of cast iron.
If you want more tonnage get a bigger press.
If it breaks catastrophically, you may get injured.