Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default OK, now I like the soft start.

Puckdropper wrote:

Robert Allison wrote in news:OKnAj.81$Qy3.17
@trnddc03:

I had been using my portercable router on a routing table and had
to take it to a jobsite to do a couple of things. When I went to
use it, I had set it on a worktable and bent down to plug the
cord into the wall socket behind the table. When I plugged it
in, it was on. It started up (soft start) and stayed right where
it was, not falling onto my head with the 3/4" dado bit in it,
without the base.

I always thought the soft start was nice, but now I find that I
just love it for some reason.

Important lesson: Turn it off before unplugging it! (Then, check the
power switch before you plug it back in.) I've had a couple devices that
don't get shut off before being unplugged, and shocking* things have
happened.

*I'm using the word "shocking" here to mean both static electric shock
and surprising.

I like to get ready to make a cut or something, turn the device on and
watch it not start up before shutting it off and plugging it in. If it
turns on without power (including battery), then I *know* it's possessed.

Puckdropper

You would think that wouldn't you? A router, when being used in
the handheld mode is always turned off before you set it down.
In the table mode, it is always on, due to the external switch on
the table itself. The only time that I have ever had this
problem was yesterday. I will now have to learn to make sure it
is off. I cannot remember how I managed to avoid that problem
the 1,973 other times that I changed from table to handheld.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.