Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OK, now I like the soft start.

I had been using my portercable router on a routing table and had
to take it to a jobsite to do a couple of things. When I went to
use it, I had set it on a worktable and bent down to plug the
cord into the wall socket behind the table. When I plugged it
in, it was on. It started up (soft start) and stayed right where
it was, not falling onto my head with the 3/4" dado bit in it,
without the base.

I always thought the soft start was nice, but now I find that I
just love it for some reason.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Allison wrote in news:OKnAj.81$Qy3.17
@trnddc03:

I had been using my portercable router on a routing table and had
to take it to a jobsite to do a couple of things. When I went to
use it, I had set it on a worktable and bent down to plug the
cord into the wall socket behind the table. When I plugged it
in, it was on. It started up (soft start) and stayed right where
it was, not falling onto my head with the 3/4" dado bit in it,
without the base.

I always thought the soft start was nice, but now I find that I
just love it for some reason.

Important lesson: Turn it off before unplugging it! (Then, check the
power switch before you plug it back in.) I've had a couple devices that
don't get shut off before being unplugged, and shocking* things have
happened.

*I'm using the word "shocking" here to mean both static electric shock
and surprising.

I like to get ready to make a cut or something, turn the device on and
watch it not start up before shutting it off and plugging it in. If it
turns on without power (including battery), then I *know* it's possessed.

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
I had been using my portercable router on a routing table and had to take
it to a jobsite to do a couple of things. When I went to use it, I had set
it on a worktable and bent down to plug the cord into the wall socket
behind the table. When I plugged it in, it was on. It started up (soft
start) and stayed right where it was, not falling onto my head with the
3/4" dado bit in it, without the base.

I always thought the soft start was nice, but now I find that I just love
it for some reason.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

I never realized how much I liked the soft start on my M12V. Then, one day,
the variable speed electronic unit went out. The router would speed up,
slow down, speed up again. One day it stopped running completely so I
opened up the top, snipped the variable speed controller and wired it back
up.

Next time I went to use it (handheld, not table) I had a blinding flash of
the obvious when I turned it on. AHA!!!! That little doohickey controls
the soft start too!!!! Good thing I was holding on tight. It has a bit of
start up torque to it now.

Thinking about getting a milwaukee or triton. Maybe I should stop by sears
(nailshooter).

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

[...]

You would think that wouldn't you? A router, when being used in
the handheld mode is always turned off before you set it down.
In the table mode, it is always on, due to the external switch on
the table itself. The only time that I have ever had this
problem was yesterday. I will now have to learn to make sure it
is off. I cannot remember how I managed to avoid that problem
the 1,973 other times that I changed from table to handheld.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08 Mar 2008 04:26:04 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

[...]

Nothing wrong with being too paranoid when it comes to power-tool
safety! I like the soft-start too. It eliminates the jerk from the
sudden torque.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

[...]

Confession time:

I have a Bosch 1276DVS 4 x 24 belt sander. I picked it up by the handle to
change belts after insuring that it was unplugged. In the process I
depressed the switch *and* the lock-on button.
I changed belts, set the sander upright on the end of my bench and plugged
it in. It took off like a dragster, hit the floor and bent the front roller
and suspension.
I don't remember how much repair parts were but it was a lesson.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in
news

Confession time:

I have a Bosch 1276DVS 4 x 24 belt sander. I picked it up by the
handle to change belts after insuring that it was unplugged. In the
process I depressed the switch *and* the lock-on button.
I changed belts, set the sander upright on the end of my bench and
plugged it in. It took off like a dragster, hit the floor and bent
the front roller and suspension.
I don't remember how much repair parts were but it was a lesson.

Max

I've often wondered about my belt sander... It has the switch on the
handle too, and when you naturally pick it up your finger's right on the
switch. There is no safety switch, so it'd be easy to accidently turn it
on.

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got distracted once while locking down a 690
in a router table.

When that 22,500rpm motor with a
straight cutter came down and started eating
up everything in sight, I was trying to leave
the building.

My plunge base and me never got over that
little incident.

Robert Allison wrote:

I had been using my portercable router on a routing table and had to
take it to a jobsite to do a couple of things. When I went to use it, I
had set it on a worktable and bent down to plug the cord into the wall
socket behind the table. When I plugged it in, it was on. It started
up (soft start) and stayed right where it was, not falling onto my head
with the 3/4" dado bit in it, without the base.

I always thought the soft start was nice, but now I find that I just
love it for some reason.

Garage door - can you soft-start them? dean Home Repair 10 November 1st 06 07:13 PM
Undercounter Halogen 120v bulb (soft start device?) Steve Henderson Home Repair 15 December 27th 05 03:57 AM
Soft start dimmers [email protected] UK diy 2 November 9th 05 06:38 PM
Soft Start Problem west Electronics 4 June 26th 05 06:47 PM
PC Soft start module. Sandman Woodworking 9 December 10th 04 05:09 AM