Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default simple electrical question

"RedDwarf" wrote in message
Hi folks,
In our office - we have an electrical outlet (large 3 prong
electricians just installed). It is supposed to be 208 Volts...

we were having some problems with our equipment, so I ran a multimeter
on it - and when I hook up the hot and neutral to the meter (analog
type), I get the correct reading of 210volts +/-.

when I connect to the hot and the GROUND I get 120 volts... is that
correct, or does the electrician need to come back out? I thought hot
and ground should also produce the 210 volt reading...

Thanks in advance!

- Jay

If you got 208 volts between hot and ground, you'd have really big problems.
It should read roughly 208 between the two hot legs, and roughly 120 volts
between either hot leg and ground