Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
MLD MLD is offline

Default Replacing kitchen sink disposal

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid
into the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest
part of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should
watch for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

Lots of information in all the other posts. I have one tip that worked for
me a couple of times. Taking the old one out is not a big problem but
getting the new on and locked onto the sink can be a pain in the butt and
very tiring. What I've done is to use a small auto scissors jack--Once
you've connected the wiring, balance the disposal on the jack and (very)
carefully raise it up by turning the jack adjustment by hand. Be very
careful that you don't raise it too high once you get it up to the sink or
you'll start to push up on the sink itself. Once it's in position the task
of locking it onto the sink is a heck of a lot easier than if you were
trying to support all that weight with one hand.
MLD