Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Replacing kitchen sink disposal

Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid into
the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest part
of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should watch
for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid
into the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest
part of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should
watch for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

You'll want to buy a nice Insinkerator, and you'll need a switch. Is the
wiring arranged so that will be reasonably easy? (No tearing out walls and
hiring a crain operator)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Walter Cohen wrote:

Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let
me know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid
into the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest
part of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should
watch for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

Google "replacing disposal".
There are some helpful tutorials.

And this one about "batch feed" models:
http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sh...disposal.shtml

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:26:01 -0500, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid into
the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest part
of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should watch
for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

Not difficult at all. For the inexperienced maybe an hour. It is an
extra step if there is another sink or dishwasher that drains into the
disposal. The switch installation might take an extra hour depending
where you want the switch. I recommend putting the switch in a
convenient location to operate the disposal, not necessarily
convenient to install. Double check that the circuit is OFF before
starting the task.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid
into the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest
part of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should
watch for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

It is a fairly straightforward job, but in cramped quarters.

I see others say you need to install a switch, You don't. Just be sure to
buy a model that has the integrals switch like you have. They are batch
feed as opposed to the continuous feed. Good brands are In-sink-erator and
Kitchen Aid.
This is a batch feed
http://www.insinkerator.com/product/...4&template=hhd

Getting the old unit out will require a little planning because once you
release it, it suddenly becomes heavy so you don't want to twist your wrist.
Most times there is a collar that has to be turned off with a screwdriver or
allen wrench.

Figure about two hours for the job. Unplug or turn off the power first.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"Walter Cohen" wrote:

Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid into
the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest part
of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should watch
for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

I live in an apartment with an on-site maintenance crew. When my garbage
disposal needed to be replaced, I watched. It looked relatively easy.
The entire process took about 20 minutes. I also helped my dad replace
the garbage disposal in his kitchen and it didn't take much longer. The
directions on how to do it should be included with the disposal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

starting the task.- Hide quoted text -

I recommend putting the switch in a convenient location to operate
the disposal

There are those (including me) who think it's better to put the switch
in an inconvenient location. I don't mean on the other side of the
room or up near the ceiling. I mean just not right next to the light
switch for the sink light. I put mine on the opposite side of the
sink, behind the dish-rack.

You have to *want* to turn on the disposal, not accidently turn it on,
in case there's a utensil or some other object that you weren't
looking for 'cuz you weren't thinking about the disposal.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Thanks.
Actually, I think the grinding motor is not the part that failed, instead I
believe it is the batch feed switch that failed. I used the disposal this
morning and tonight my wife said it no longer works (verified).

Unfortunately, as the motor does not run anymore I'm going to have a hard
time determining what circuit breaker it is on (as lots of the breakers do
not have any indications on them). I can throw most of the breakers for the
kitchen and hope that the previous owner/contractor/handy man did not run a
separate line for it to a separate unmarked breaker.

What I may need to do is throw most of the known kitchen breakers, then take
the electrical cable connector off at the disposal and use a multi-meter to
check for voltage on the wires before removing. Obviously use rubber gloves
and a rubber handled screwdriver.

Walter
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Walter Cohen wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Have you checked/reset thermal protection switch on the motor body(under
side). It pops when over loaded. You have to push it to reset.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 21:32:48 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Getting the old unit out will require a little planning because once you
release it, it suddenly becomes heavy so you don't want to twist your wrist.
Most times there is a collar that has to be turned off with a screwdriver or
allen wrench.

It's fairly heavy to put back in also. To lift back up.

Let's put it this way. When I was 45 neither dropping nor lifting was
much effort.

When I was 60, I decided to use s floor jack to lift the thing up to
put it back in.

I don't know if I had gotten weaker or smarter.

It worked well because unlike most bumper jacks which work in
increments, one can raise a floor jack as little as one wants.

A floor jack is one that looks like an alligator, with four wheels
sticking out like legs, and a handle at one end that represents the
tail and cranks up and down. Mine is the cheapest smallest model I've
seen but works great for things like this and lifting up the wooden
deck at my back door (and for lifting the car)

I wouldn't buy one just for this job, especially if you are closer to
45 than to 60.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
MLD MLD is offline

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid
into the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest
part of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should
watch for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

Lots of information in all the other posts. I have one tip that worked for
me a couple of times. Taking the old one out is not a big problem but
getting the new on and locked onto the sink can be a pain in the butt and
very tiring. What I've done is to use a small auto scissors jack--Once
you've connected the wiring, balance the disposal on the jack and (very)
carefully raise it up by turning the jack adjustment by hand. Be very
careful that you don't raise it too high once you get it up to the sink or
you'll start to push up on the sink itself. Once it's in position the task
of locking it onto the sink is a heck of a lot easier than if you were
trying to support all that weight with one hand.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 20:32:31 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

Lots of information in all the other posts. I have one tip that worked for
me a couple of times. Taking the old one out is not a big problem but
getting the new on and locked onto the sink can be a pain in the butt and
very tiring. What I've done is to use a small auto scissors jack--Once
you've connected the wiring, balance the disposal on the jack and (very)
carefully raise it up by turning the jack adjustment by hand. Be very
careful that you don't raise it too high once you get it up to the sink or
you'll start to push up on the sink itself. Once it's in position the task
of locking it onto the sink is a heck of a lot easier than if you were
trying to support all that weight with one hand.
MLD

I'm glad I'm not the only one using a jack. I was holding it with
both hands, trying to find the right spot, and twist it on, but it was
taking a long time

I dind't connect the wires until it was in place, which is easy
enough, but maybe if my cable were longer, I would do it first.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid
into the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest
part of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should
watch for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

You'll want to buy a nice Insinkerator, and you'll need a switch. Is the
wiring arranged so that will be reasonably easy? (No tearing out walls and
hiring a crain operator)

Why would he need a switch? All he needs is another unit like the one he's
replacing. Insinkerator makes those, too.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
jp jp is offline

On Mar 6, 7:26*pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid into
the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest part
of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should watch
for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

Thanks,
Walter

you should have a wall switch to make sure their is no power to it and
its a simple process to disconnect it. Follow the order that you use
to disconnect it, good luck henry
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"jp" wrote in message

you should have a wall switch to make sure their is no power to it and
its a simple process to disconnect it. Follow the order that you use
to disconnect it, good luck henry

But a wall switch is NO guarantee that power is not going to it.

What I've done is put receptacles under the sink and the DW and disposal
have plugs for them. That way I can be sure of now power.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Mar 6, 7:26 pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
Hi.
My 3/4 hp GE sink disposal just died.
If it's not too difficult of a task I'd like to replace it myself (let me
know).
The unit is the kind without a wall switch, you place a drain cover/lid into
the sink notch and press it down to operate.

I'm thinking the hardest part is removing the old unit, and the hardest part
of that is disconnecting the unit from the sink.

Actually, it's pretty easy with the possible exception of it being
gunked/rusted in place. Look at the connection before you start and
see if it is corroded and if you will need something like WD-40 to
free it.

Any thoughts/suggestions on degree of difficulty and anything I should watch
for? I'm relatively handy around the house.

When you buy a replacement it will come with detailed instructions on
installation and probably helpful tips on removing the old one. At
least it did when I replaced one in my old house. Be sure the
replacement you get is high quality; cheap ones tend to rust out.

I don't remember it being difficult to lift into place and I certainly
didn't need a lift as others have suggested.

Are you sure the old one it is hardwired and there's no outlet hidden
under the sink or counter somewhere?