Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.[_3_] Steve R.[_3_] is offline

Default Vacuum pump question

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Steve R. wrote:
I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive
odour. What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in
terms of lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

Depends what the odour is caused by. Try to find out what it has been used
for in the past. Ask the seller. The odour might be something dangerous,
but it might not. If it's something dangerous, decontaminating it is a
difficult job. If not, just change the oil.

Incidentally, the old belt-driven pumps are often much better made than
the modern direct-drive pumps, so they can be a really good deal.

Best wishes,

Chris

It's just a little portable direct drive unit. The manual suggests that
should be used for suctioning out newborn babies, and small surgical wounds.
I have no way of tracing the original user. It was donated to a local thrift
store, but probably came from out of town.

I decided to buy it anyway (under $20.00). It will have to live outside
until the smell is gone.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers