Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kid-proof, dog-proof, dirt-proof paint

K wrote:

I'm painting the front hall, stairwell and landing and wanted to get
opinions on what paint to use. We have kids and dogs and the hall is
narrow enough that people and bags etc bump into and brush against the
walls frequently, so it's definitely a high-traffic area, and gets dirty
very fast.

I got very excited by that self-cleaning paint that was on Grand
Designs, but a) it's only for exteriors and b) it's �50 for 5 litres.
Apart from that, it would be perfect ;-)

So what I'm looking for, I suppose, is something that's easy to wipe
clean, that will stand up to the kind of beating it's going to get and
repeated washing. I know a tough high-gloss would be the hardest-
wearing, but I don't think it would look good. I also considered acrylic
panels over the wall, but again, the look...

Any suggestions for the best brand and type of paint I can use?

TIA

Car spray paint is the stuff for this. Much tougher than household
gloss. You can also get 2 part marine paints, but the prices are
excessive. Beware of fumes with car paints, when using on large
areas indoors this is a potentially dangerous problem you must
address during application and drying.

NT