Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Vacuum pump question

Steve R. wrote:
I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

Depends what the odour is caused by. Try to find out what it has been
used for in the past. Ask the seller. The odour might be something
dangerous, but it might not. If it's something dangerous,
decontaminating it is a difficult job. If not, just change the oil.

Incidentally, the old belt-driven pumps are often much better made than
the modern direct-drive pumps, so they can be a really good deal.

Best wishes,

Chris