Robert Snyder

Default Replacement engine for Colemate Generator

I checked princessauto.comm and the engine looks very good. I am
concerned it would not be an exact match for proper fitup.

I am going the route of a seperate engine and will be making a new
shaft with bearing support. I can then add an enigne with belt drive.

I have seen an example on
http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html.

I am not sure if you can drive a generator opposite. The orignal
setup rotated the generator CW when direct coupled. If I go the the
belt drive, with the generator up,the generator would rotate CCW. I
could put the generator down and get CW if needed.

Bob

(surftom) wrote in message . com...
Don't know where you are, but check out
princess auto in Canada -
www.princessauto.com
they have some Coleman generator engines as surplus in their monthly flier
this month.

May be worth it to have it shipped/picked up - IIRC $350 CDN for 11hp

Tom

(Robert Snyder) wrote in message . com...
I have seen where people have converted old motors into generators. I
was thinking that would be a fun project and if I started with an old
generator should be even better.

I picked up (bought) a 4200W Coleman Generator with bag motor (piston
through the block). I thought the generator and engine were seperate
so I could add a different engine with maybe a coupling change. Not
so.

After getting the unit home and disassembling, I discovered the rear
engine bearing (the crackshaft extents into the generator armature)
was also the generator front bearing support. So after removing the
engine the generator has no front bearing.

So far I have the cost of the unit plus 3 hours time invested.

The cost to replace the engine would be too high. I could probably
buy a new generator for not much difference.

I am considering making an armature shaft extension and adding a new
bearing and support. I have Sears 6.6HP lawnmower engine to drive the
generator. This could be via belt or direct connection. Not sure if
the 6.6 is too small since the orginal engine was 8hp. Hopefully I
will get at least 3kw with a 6.6. I have a small lathe and mill dril
for making the adapter and bearing support.

The generator needs to turn CW as a viewed for the engine connection
end.
If I use a simple belt drive, the generator would run backwards from
its orginal setup. I can go direct couple if I hang the generator
below the engine (not good because the outlets are on the rear of the
generator. The engine runs CCW looking from the output shart towars
the engine.

Any suggestions would be helpful.