Posted to alt.home.repair
dennis bird dennis  bird is offline

Default Cutting Concrete blocks for wall

if you are talking about the red/rust color blocks that home depot/Lowes
sells for gardens you might want to get a masonary chisel/ ace hardware has
them for a few bucks.... just hit the chisel with a hammer and it will break
where you want it to. not as precise as a masonary blade, but it works
wrote in message
Well, dear wife wants a retaining wall for new garden area.

So, using some of those mortarless blocks...here's the Web site:

http://www.mutualmaterials.com/Homeo...85&detail2=122

I am building it. However, I need to cut some wierd angles. In the
past I have always used my handy dandy 7-1/4 inch circular saw and
some "fiber-type" masonry blades at $2.50 a piece from my local
hardware store to cut the things.

However, it has been about 10 years since my last foray. Am I getting
older, or did I forget....it's hard work to cut these things and I am
going through about 1 blade for every 2 blocks....

I poked about the Web and saw a few Hitachi blades, "diamond"
advertised for $30 to $70 ....and a few other brands for up to $380.

Now, I need to cut a number of these, I haven't quite figured out the
total, but a number of them on wierd angles and just a number of them
in half to meet her "highness's specs.

I am not expecting to cut them totally, just enough to split. I don't
want to rent a cutter, because I have no easy way to get it here and
they want $50 to deliver, plus the $66 rental charge for the day....

Anyway, would one of those steel Hitachi blades work better than the
fiber ones I struggled with today???