Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Concrete blocks for wall

Well, dear wife wants a retaining wall for new garden area.

So, using some of those mortarless blocks...here's the Web site:

http://www.mutualmaterials.com/Homeo...85&detail2=122

I am building it. However, I need to cut some wierd angles. In the
past I have always used my handy dandy 7-1/4 inch circular saw and
some "fiber-type" masonry blades at $2.50 a piece from my local
hardware store to cut the things.

However, it has been about 10 years since my last foray. Am I getting
older, or did I forget....it's hard work to cut these things and I am
going through about 1 blade for every 2 blocks....

I poked about the Web and saw a few Hitachi blades, "diamond"
advertised for $30 to $70 ....and a few other brands for up to $380.

Now, I need to cut a number of these, I haven't quite figured out the
total, but a number of them on wierd angles and just a number of them
in half to meet her "highness's specs.

I am not expecting to cut them totally, just enough to split. I don't
want to rent a cutter, because I have no easy way to get it here and
they want $50 to deliver, plus the $66 rental charge for the day....

Anyway, would one of those steel Hitachi blades work better than the
fiber ones I struggled with today???
Posted to alt.home.repair

A dry diamond on circular saw works well. You can get one for
about $10 at Harbor Freight. I buy Core Cut brand for about $60.
They work better to make several passes rather than trying to cut
full depth in one pass.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.mutualmaterials.com/Homeo...id=64&p_id=266....

[...]

Rent a potable wet saw from a tile store cutting concrete is extremely
dusty
Posted to alt.home.repair

Original poster here again.

I went to the local masonry store and bought a dry diamond cutting
blade for my 7-1/4 circular saw. As one poster mentioned....it was a
miracle the way this works compared to the fiber cheapies.

This thing was $25 and it is like no big deal to cut with it. Works
like a charm. Wish I had known about these long ago.

As mentioned, it is dusty work, but I live on a large farm. I just
rigged up a 100 foot extension cord, put on a hat, goggles, face mask,
rubber boots and my "work in the slop" work clothes and aimed the dust
out toward the field. I got pretty dusty, but nothing that a chilly
rinse in the barnyard hydrant couldn't cure...brrrrrrrr.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you are talking about the red/rust color blocks that home depot/Lowes
sells for gardens you might want to get a masonary chisel/ ace hardware has
them for a few bucks.... just hit the chisel with a hammer and it will break
where you want it to. not as precise as a masonary blade, but it works