Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Fence posts with metal pipe last longer?

peter wrote:
I received a bid for a cedar mod panel fence for about $23 per foot
with posts set in concrete.
For 10% more, they would put a metal pipe inside the posts and set
the pipe in concrete. This is supposed to last longer. Has anyone any
experience with this? I have to decide whether this upgrade is worth
it. Some of my old fence posts did break at the ground level due to
moisture.

And for 10% LESS they'd just use a metal post.

Why would you cover a metal post with a wood veneer? If the fence is
oriented right, you won't see the posts anyway.