Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Need to replace Baseboard Heaters with ??

In my experience with older houses (from 1950s to as old as 1870s)
I've discovered two culprits, one of which is easier and more
effective to deal with than the other.

Back in the days when the cost of heating didn't matter, they didn't
insulate, or the walls themselves counted as insulation (like my old
brick rowhouse). Insulation is a matter of access - can you get to the
attic?, how efficiently can you get insulation in your walls?, floors?

On the other hand, combating drafts is eminently easier. Kinda. Can I
tell you how much I hate older windows? Unless the windows have been
replaced in the last ten years, they all leak like sieves and the cold
in the Winter just pours off them in waves. In fact, in my office
(which was the living room of a 19th century house), I had a problem
keeping it warm until we covered the windows with that plastic that
shrinks under heat. Just having that plastic over the windows made a
DRAMATIC difference in heat loss in the office.

(Unfortunately, the member of my church who installed the plastic
didn't think the hair dryer was working well enough or fast enough and
used a heat gun instead. Guess what happened?)

Doors will be your other demon. It's worth replacing weather
stripping, foam pads around the jamb, whatever to seal the doors from
drafts. If worse comes to worst, roll up a large towel and put it at
the foot of the door - that's what we did in the living room in my
last house.

When it comes to doors, look for not-so-obvious leaks, like around the
knob or deadbolt lock. The biggest bane of my front door was the mail
slot. If I hadn't moved, I was going to make a zippered bag to attach
to the slot which would block airflow but still provide a place for
the mail.

In your own house, consider adjusting your heating in rooms you don't
use as often - can you crank back the radiator or close the vent? Keep
doors to unoccupied rooms closed. Close drapes and blinds when there's
no direct sun (or in the Summer, keep 'em closed and the room dark to
prevent heating) - but open all of those curtains and blinds when it's
sunny 'cause nothing is better for heating a room than the big ol'
ball of gas 92.8 million miles away!

And, what the heck, have you considered a "distributed network" around
your house, putting your computers in different rooms and letting the
heat they generate help?

On Mar 4, 7:38 pm, "Scott Townsend"
wrote:
So on the Topic of "Insulate and fix the air leaks"

Any Tips Tricks? The main house has serious issues. It gets serious cold at
time without heat.
Close the door to the Computer Room/Office and that room is toasty, but the
rest of the house is very drafty.