Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Fence posts with metal pipe last longer?

"BobK207" wrote in message
On Mar 6, 7:38 am, "peter" wrote:
I received a bid for a cedar mod panel fence for about $23 per foot with
posts set in concrete.
For 10% more, they would put a metal pipe inside the posts and set the
pipe
in concrete. This is supposed to last longer. Has anyone any experience
with
this? I have to decide whether this upgrade is worth it. Some of my old
fence posts did break at the ground level due to moisture.

Wood in contact with soil is the major cause of fence failure.
Poor detailing that traps moisture & prevents the fence from drying is
another significant cause.

So the metal pipe will help a lot IF the bottom of the post is not in
contact with the soil.

If the bottom of the fence boards touch the soil, the will still be at
risk for rot.

What size pipe?
And do they use other design details that will avoid rot / termites &
extend fence life?

An extra 10% seems pretty cheap to add a feature that will add a few
years (at least) to the fence life.

cheers
Bob

The answers are yes, no, definitely, and maybe. I love it when someone
writes in here, and doesn't give a clue about what they are asking about or
where they live.

Meaning ........... what part of the country is this in? You said some of
them had rotted off, so I would ASS-U-ME that you live where rot is a
consideration. I live in Nevada and Utah, and fence posts lasts for decades
out in the worst of conditions.

I am a big fan of do it once, do it right. I would have the metal poles set
in concrete with a small wash on every one. A wash is a rounded top to the
concrete that keeps the water from pooling around the base of the pipe.
Have the wash extend a couple of inches above the soil line.

Fence post failure is a big PITA because you have to take down a lot to
change a fence post. And then you're back in the same position, ..........
wood or steel?

Do it once, do it right.

YMMV. You might be rich and have a lot of money and it doesn't matter. If
that's the case, please contact me at your earliest convenience as I have a
bridge for sale, and it is priced very reasonably. No qualifying, either.

Steve ;-)