Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating question

"Noel" wrote in message
I have steam heat in a 1 family house with 2 levels and an unheated
basement. I set the thermostat at 74 ( its an old house with recent
new windows ). Lately, the temp outside has been on the mild side, and
I have a very sunny south exposure which warms up the facing room
pretty much when the sun comes out. When this happens, I have the
tendency to lower the temp to 69-70 for about 5 hours. Of course, by
the end of those 5 hours, the sun is gone and the room is getting
cooler. I reset the thermostat back up to 74. Now, someone told me I
am causing the boiler to work harder to bring it up back to 74, so I
am not saving much gas that way. He said to leave it at 74 , even when
the sun enters. Do I save money that latter way?

Maybe. Does the sun keep the temp at or near 74? If so, why turn down the
thermostat. If the sun's adding that much heat, the boiler won't run anyway.