Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating question

I have steam heat in a 1 family house with 2 levels and an unheated
basement. I set the thermostat at 74 ( its an old house with recent
new windows ). Lately, the temp outside has been on the mild side, and
I have a very sunny south exposure which warms up the facing room
pretty much when the sun comes out. When this happens, I have the
tendency to lower the temp to 69-70 for about 5 hours. Of course, by
the end of those 5 hours, the sun is gone and the room is getting
cooler. I reset the thermostat back up to 74. Now, someone told me I
am causing the boiler to work harder to bring it up back to 74, so I
am not saving much gas that way. He said to leave it at 74 , even when
the sun enters. Do I save money that latter way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 8:54*am, Noel wrote:
I have steam heat in a 1 family house with 2 levels and an unheated
basement. I set the thermostat at 74 ( its an old house with recent
new windows ). Lately, the temp outside has been on the mild side, and
I have a very sunny south exposure which warms up the facing room
pretty much when the sun comes out. When this happens, I have the
tendency to lower the temp to 69-70 for about 5 hours. Of course, by
the end of those 5 hours, the sun is gone and the room is getting
cooler. I reset the thermostat back up to 74. Now, someone told me I
am causing the boiler to *work harder to bring it up back to 74, so I
am not saving much gas that way. He said to leave it at 74 , even when
the sun enters. Do I save money that latter way?

No, the boiler is not working harder. You are doing the equivelant of
what a programmable thermostat does, lowers the temp when it's not
needed, and raising it when it is needed. Your only talking a matter
of 4 degrees. If you heating system is working good, it should warm up
the area in about half hour tops. The advantages of saving fuel cost
and your boiler being off for a long period during the day far
outweigh the disadvantage of having the boiler stay on longer to meet
the desired temp in your house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noel" wrote in message
I have steam heat in a 1 family house with 2 levels and an unheated
basement. I set the thermostat at 74 ( its an old house with recent
new windows ). Lately, the temp outside has been on the mild side, and
I have a very sunny south exposure which warms up the facing room
pretty much when the sun comes out. When this happens, I have the
tendency to lower the temp to 69-70 for about 5 hours. Of course, by
the end of those 5 hours, the sun is gone and the room is getting
cooler. I reset the thermostat back up to 74. Now, someone told me I
am causing the boiler to work harder to bring it up back to 74, so I
am not saving much gas that way. He said to leave it at 74 , even when
the sun enters. Do I save money that latter way?

Maybe. Does the sun keep the temp at or near 74? If so, why turn down the
thermostat. If the sun's adding that much heat, the boiler won't run anyway.

Heating question Tom UK diy 20 October 27th 06 10:22 PM
Heating question Remi Home Repair 13 September 22nd 06 10:30 PM
A heating and an Aga question Hzatph UK diy 23 July 19th 05 11:05 AM
Heating & Oil Question gm3 Home Ownership 3 January 13th 05 05:19 PM
Central Heating Question - Heating Loop Murdo MacKenzie UK diy 2 May 17th 04 03:42 PM