Posted to alt.home.repair
Noel Noel is offline

Default Heating question

I have steam heat in a 1 family house with 2 levels and an unheated
basement. I set the thermostat at 74 ( its an old house with recent
new windows ). Lately, the temp outside has been on the mild side, and
I have a very sunny south exposure which warms up the facing room
pretty much when the sun comes out. When this happens, I have the
tendency to lower the temp to 69-70 for about 5 hours. Of course, by
the end of those 5 hours, the sun is gone and the room is getting
cooler. I reset the thermostat back up to 74. Now, someone told me I
am causing the boiler to work harder to bring it up back to 74, so I
am not saving much gas that way. He said to leave it at 74 , even when
the sun enters. Do I save money that latter way?