Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What can you do with an arbor press?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I was lucky to come across a T&B Ainsley press with several sets
of dies and presser bars at a hamfest, and we had a cheaper one at work
with dies for different connectors which I was able to machine up
duplicates for -- and stamp matching ID numbers into them so I could
tell what was for what.

The DIP ones (I only had the dies for the 0.600 center rows
IIRC) had slots milled into the die at the proper spacing -- and the
thickness of the die was critical. (The press had an over-center toggle
lever and a micrometer adjustment for the proper compression depth,
while the one which was at work was simply preset for a precise 1.000"
depth fully closed.)

The dies for the ribbon cable IDC connectors had a slot just the
right width milled to just he right depth, and a second slot at right
angles to allow the key to center whatever length in the die.

There were three presser bars. One for most things. Another for
thicker connectors (which also had to touch the baseplate through a
milled slot in the die), and a third with notches milled in it to clear
the ears on the DC-15, DB-25, D?-37 and DD-50 connectors, since the ears
stuck up over the back bar just a bit when it was fully closed.

I also picked up at the same hamfest (or perhaps the next one)
another cable press which did not handle nearly as many connectors, but
which had something that the other did not -- a blade for a clean
cut-off of the ribbon cable at a proper 90 degrees. Needless to say, I
still have both.

But there was a tool before that from Vector made from what
looked like a 1/2 scale model of a 1/2" arbor press which was normally
used for installing rows of wire-wrap pins into pre-drilled 0.100" grid
boards to make IDC male connectors. And there were female dies for it
too -- not nearly as good, but a way to do things until the nice tools
came along. As an indication of the relative prices, I actually bought
that *new*. :-)

The only cables I make these days are to replace damaged or missing
cables in donated computers. Considering that i have a couple 55 gal
drums full of salvaged cables, I rarely have to dig out those home made
dies.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell