Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
oppie oppie is offline

Default Fun with Fun-Tak

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
"Oppie" wrote in message news:9cVxj.9$Td2.3@trndny08
Found a good use for that adhesive putty known as fun-tak or
BlueStick to hold through hole parts in place when soldering them.

I never tried it for through hole parts, but I have used it in very small
blobs underneath SMD parts, and also on parts mounted on DIP headers.

I tried the tiny bit of fun-tak under smd parts when I first started working
with them. Found out later that the solder paste alone did a fine job of
holding the parts in place until the board was put in the oven. Then surface
tension took over at melt temperature (and if everything was right) pulled
the parts to the center of their pads. If was not right, tombstoning and
rework. The right size pad and in relation to the device is important as is
the thermal profiles.