Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Fun with Fun-Tak

Found a good use for that adhesive putty known as fun-tak or BlueStick to
hold through hole parts in place when soldering them. I've also used it on
occasion for a temporary High voltage insulator before doing final potting.
The stuff is normally sold for putting posters and the like up on painted
walls without damage to the surfaces.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/7770613
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=46

Also Stik-Tak, a similar product sold under the Duco name
http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=113

Attached Thumbnails
Fun with Fun-Tak-img_0182-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:
Found a good use for that adhesive putty known as fun-tak or BlueStick to
hold through hole parts in place when soldering them. I've also used it on
occasion for a temporary High voltage insulator before doing final potting.
The stuff is normally sold for putting posters and the like up on painted
walls without damage to the surfaces.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/7770613
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=46

Also Stik-Tak, a similar product sold under the Duco name
http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=113

Neat! Would never have thought of the temporary
HV insulator use.

Gives a whole new meaning to surface mount :-)

Ed
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Clever idea!
John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message news:9cVxj.9$Td2.3@trndny08...
Found a good use for that adhesive putty known as fun-tak or BlueStick to
hold through hole parts in place when soldering them. I've also used it on
occasion for a temporary High voltage insulator before doing final
potting.
The stuff is normally sold for putting posters and the like up on painted
walls without damage to the surfaces.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/7770613
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=46

Also Stik-Tak, a similar product sold under the Duco name
http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=113

Great! I often would ball up a paper towel to hold the through hole
components while I solder them in place.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Meat Plow wrote:

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:50:17 +0000, Lord Garth wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message news:9cVxj.9$Td2.3@trndny08...
Found a good use for that adhesive putty known as fun-tak or BlueStick to
hold through hole parts in place when soldering them. I've also used it on
occasion for a temporary High voltage insulator before doing final
potting.
The stuff is normally sold for putting posters and the like up on painted
walls without damage to the surfaces.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/7770613
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=46

Also Stik-Tak, a similar product sold under the Duco name
http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=113

Great! I often would ball up a paper towel to hold the through hole
components while I solder them in place.

I've used Silly Putty on occasion.

No comment! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Meat Plow wrote:

I've used Silly Putty on occasion.

No comment! ;-)

It's silicone. It might be a better insulator.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message news:9cVxj.9$Td2.3@trndny08
Found a good use for that adhesive putty known as fun-tak or
BlueStick to hold through hole parts in place when soldering them.

I never tried it for through hole parts, but I have used it in very small
blobs underneath SMD parts, and also on parts mounted on DIP headers.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Meat Plow wrote:

I've used Silly Putty on occasion.

No comment! ;-)

It's silicone. It might be a better insulator.

Whooosh! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Meat Plow wrote:

I've used Silly Putty on occasion.

No comment! ;-)

It's silicone. It might be a better insulator.

Whooosh! ;-)

Sounds like fun. What happens if you put it in the microwave?

But seriously, what's in Silly Putty that conducts and reacts? Is the
silicone responsible?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Meat Plow wrote:

I've used Silly Putty on occasion.

No comment! ;-)

It's silicone. It might be a better insulator.

Whooosh! ;-)

Sounds like fun. What happens if you put it in the microwave?

But seriously, what's in Silly Putty that conducts and reacts? Is the
silicone responsible?

Come on Tom. The comments were about meatplow playing with silly
putty, and the fact it went right over your head.

OTOH, it DOES pick up ink from newspaper that may be carbon based.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Meat Plow wrote:

I've used Silly Putty on occasion.

No comment! ;-)

It's silicone. It might be a better insulator.

Whooosh! ;-)

Sounds like fun. What happens if you put it in the microwave?

But seriously, what's in Silly Putty that conducts and reacts? Is
the silicone responsible?

Come on Tom. The comments were about meatplow playing with silly
putty, and the fact it went right over your head.

Well whoosh can mean other things, like sudden conflagration.

On a similar note, I've used my old Gilbert Erector Set on occasion...for
parts and for making special clamps and jigs.

OTOH, it DOES pick up ink from newspaper that may be carbon based.

Definitely only clean, pure, silly putty should be used.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Come on Tom. The comments were about meatplow playing with silly
putty, and the fact it went right over your head.

Well whoosh can mean other things, like sudden conflagration.

On a similar note, I've used my old Gilbert Erector Set on occasion...for
parts and for making special clamps and jigs.

Don't let Dimbulb find out that you have an "Erector Set"

OTOH, it DOES pick up ink from newspaper that may be carbon based.

Definitely only clean, pure, silly putty should be used.

I agree, 100%! It would be insanely silly to do otherwise! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
"Oppie" wrote in message news:9cVxj.9$Td2.3@trndny08
Found a good use for that adhesive putty known as fun-tak or
BlueStick to hold through hole parts in place when soldering them.

I never tried it for through hole parts, but I have used it in very small
blobs underneath SMD parts, and also on parts mounted on DIP headers.

I tried the tiny bit of fun-tak under smd parts when I first started working
with them. Found out later that the solder paste alone did a fine job of
holding the parts in place until the board was put in the oven. Then surface
tension took over at melt temperature (and if everything was right) pulled
the parts to the center of their pads. If was not right, tombstoning and
rework. The right size pad and in relation to the device is important as is
the thermal profiles.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:06:45 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Found a good use for that adhesive putty known as fun-tak or BlueStick to
hold through hole parts in place when soldering them. I've also used it on
occasion for a temporary High voltage insulator before doing final potting.
The stuff is normally sold for putting posters and the like up on painted
walls without damage to the surfaces.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/7770613
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=46

Also Stik-Tak, a similar product sold under the Duco name
http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=113

Great. Another use besides making a temporary holding screwdriver.
--
John
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John O'Flaherty" wrote in message
news

Great. Another use besides making a temporary holding screwdriver.

done that too - great when you can't use a magnetized screwdriver on brass
or some stainless screws.