Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default OT- Sam's club

On Mar 5, 7:21*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I was not responding to the original post but to the last post which said:
I've seen gas stations
advertising a "cash only" price, and I've been to computer and ham radio
"flea markets" where vendors will advertise separate "cash" and "credit"
prices or will say, "If you pay cash, we'll pay the sales tax, but if
you want to use plastic, you'll have to pay the tax.

Most if not all of your flea market vendors are commercial vendors
that have tax identification numbers and pay sales tax on their
sales. They would prefer cash not because they want to avoid paying
sales tax but want to avoid having to file all the paperwork on the
credit sale and pay a fee to the credit card company which often is
larger than the sales tax. It is worth it to them to get their money
right away. Its not really a method of avoiding paying the sales tax,
after all you are the one paying it and they are just the tax
collectors. They also receive a small amount for collecting the sales
tax.