Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default OT- Sam's club

dpb wrote:
George wrote:
It is pretty unusual to see a cash discount offered by a merchant that
accepts plastic because the merchant is bound by the merchant
agreement between them and the CC that doesn't allow cash discounts.

I don't know your definition of "pretty unusual" but I find it "pretty
common", most particularly at the gas pump.

I am in the northeast and haven't seen cash discounts at retailers that
also take plastic in years. A number of "cash only" gas stations have
sprung up in the area I travel.

Having never used CC except on the user end, not merchant, I've never
seen an actual merchant agreement to comment, but my experience
indicates it must not be a prohibited practice universally.

--

I have seen merchant agreements. I don't doubt what you say but perhaps
it is in a different region since obviously they can write the agreement

The last place I know that had a cash discount and also took plastic was
a large local family owned store. You simply walked up to the register
and said cash and they discounted what you would be charged for the
rewards programs and bank fees. I know one of the family members and he
said the CC companies muscled them into complying with the agreement.