Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Guerilla air conditioning

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 00:41:40 -0500, mm
wrote:

When I lived in an apartment in Brooklyn, my first one had a view but
not a good one. The next one, a year later, had 4 windows facing
east, 2 facing north, and one facing west. I had to have roommates to
afford it, but we each had our own room.

I forgot to include the bathroom windows, one facing each of the 3
directions above.

I will definitely investigate window film kits.

The two windows are 6 feet high and 4 feet across.

There also appears to be some sort of underfloor leak as we had to replace the floorboards last summer when they rose and broke apart even though the landlord insisted that it was incidental and from a kitchen leak.

If he speaks good English, he might have said or meant "incidental to
the kitchen leak". Doesn't a kitchen leak meat your standards? I'm

Oops. "meet".

sure he's fixed it by now, because you live on the 5th floor and the
people downstairs don't have dripping ceilings, do they?

Being that the windows are single paned, I don't know what I can do to better insulate. Upon looking into the air conditioning unit housings, I don't see any daylight or sense any direct temperature input from outside, but is there perhaps a way for me to better insulate that?

Well, I think you could light a cigarette and see if the smoke moves
in or out, or maybe a candle's flame. Other people know more about
this. Of course sometimes the air is calm, even when there is an
opening. Even if you can't see daylight, there might be an S curved
path.

They sell semi-hard clear plastic windows that might be able to be

I mean plastic sheets. They aren't windows until one puts them in
place.

attached and removed without damaging anything. I just found some of
that at the building we've been stripping, prior to its demolition.
Of course the plastic was never installed. But others know more
about wther it can be attached and removed without damage.