Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default 'puter repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin for
a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

You deserve a power supply tester. The last one I got was $7 Test the supply,
unplug all peripherals except the MB and one memory module. If it stays up, plug
one thing at a time in. But, Id bet on the PS.

the rest of the computer is called a power supply tester.

Yep.

if a computer died during a move, reseat everything, and dust it out while
it's open.

Absolutely. It is the connectors 99.999% of the time if it worked
pre-move and doesn't post-move (and didn't get run over in transit).
Even just sitting unpowered for a number of months can cause connector
oxidation problems that will be cured by pulling and reseating all
connectors.