Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 'puter repair

My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:20:26 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl
Townsend" quickly quoth:

My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

It's a Dell. bseg

Sounds like either power supply or motherboard. Check for +-5v and
+-12v supplies to mama.

--
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.
--Troy P, usenet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Push in all the connectors.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Push in all the connectors.

Better yet, unplug and re-plug all connectors, memory DIMMs, PCI cards,
etc. Connectors are the biggest source of problems in anything
electronic and it the unit has just been moved a good distance the
probability is high that one of the connectors is loose.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:23:01 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Push in all the connectors.

Better yet, unplug and re-plug all connectors, memory DIMMs, PCI cards,
etc. Connectors are the biggest source of problems in anything
electronic and it the unit has just been moved a good distance the
probability is high that one of the connectors is loose.

It's over 1 1/2 years old - replace the power supply.

If that doesn't fix it, it's a Dell - throw it away and get a REAL
computer.

Ever hear of "The DELL from HELL"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Push in all the connectors.

Better yet, unplug and re-plug all connectors, memory DIMMs, PCI cards,
etc. Connectors are the biggest source of problems in anything
electronic and it the unit has just been moved a good distance the
probability is high that one of the connectors is loose.

It's over 1 1/2 years old - replace the power supply.

If that doesn't fix it, it's a Dell - throw it away and get a REAL
computer.

Ever hear of "The DELL from HELL"?

No, I have several Dell Optiplex systems that I got used for next to
nothing about 4 years ago and all still work fine, including one that is
my 24x365 mail and web server.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

What do the LEDS on the back show? From what you describe it sounds like
a memory card got flaky. I would open the case, blow out the dust
bunnies, reset ALL connections, replace the 2032 CMOS battery and see if
it fires up.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would test the power supply using a voltmeter (touch pins of the
four pin power supply connectors for IDE hard drives).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin for
a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

You deserve a power supply tester. The last one I got was $7 Test the supply,
unplug all peripherals except the MB and one memory module. If it stays up, plug
one thing at a time in. But, Id bet on the PS.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin for
a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

You deserve a power supply tester. The last one I got was $7 Test the supply,
unplug all peripherals except the MB and one memory module. If it stays up, plug
one thing at a time in. But, Id bet on the PS.

the rest of the computer is called a power supply tester.

if a computer died during a move, reseat everything, and dust it out while
it's open.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin for
a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

You deserve a power supply tester. The last one I got was $7 Test the supply,
unplug all peripherals except the MB and one memory module. If it stays up, plug
one thing at a time in. But, Id bet on the PS.

the rest of the computer is called a power supply tester.

Yep.

if a computer died during a move, reseat everything, and dust it out while
it's open.

Absolutely. It is the connectors 99.999% of the time if it worked
pre-move and doesn't post-move (and didn't get run over in transit).
Even just sitting unpowered for a number of months can cause connector
oxidation problems that will be cured by pulling and reseating all
connectors.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:15:49 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin for
a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

You deserve a power supply tester. The last one I got was $7 Test the supply,
unplug all peripherals except the MB and one memory module. If it stays up, plug
one thing at a time in. But, Id bet on the PS.

the rest of the computer is called a power supply tester.

I had a hard drive act as the most expensive power supply tester
you've ever seen... especially after the dudes in the white jackets
got their pound of flesh for getting the data back..

if a computer died during a move, reseat everything, and dust it out while
it's open.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

If you had to get a data recovery, you didn't have a recent back-up, did you?
NO SYMPATHY!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

It's old enough that you may have defective electrolytic capacitors
on the motherboard. They caps near the CPU have to be low ESR, and a
lot of chinese caps were made with defective electrolyte. I am still
seeing flaky motherboards with bad or leaking caps.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Yes. Seen it before. Remove and reseat the CPU. If that doesn't work,
you may have to do the same for the memory and try the power supply
connector,
too. But, I've seen this on many ATX machines. When the power supply
first receives power from the plug, the CPU fires up and checks whether
it is supposed to go to "last state" or "always power on". If the CPU
doesn't respond, the supply powers off again.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 5, 12:10*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:

My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

* *It's old enough that you may have defective electrolytic capacitors
on the motherboard. *They caps near the CPU have to be low ESR, and a
lot of chinese caps were made with defective electrolyte. *I am still
seeing flaky motherboards with bad or leaking caps.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael what do you know about the Army Security Agency?
Millwright Ron
www.unionmillwright.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
clare, at, snyder, dot, ontario, dot, canada wrote:

If that doesn't fix it, it's a Dell - throw it away and get a REAL
computer.

Ever hear of "The DELL from HELL"?

No, I have several Dell Optiplex systems that I got used for next to
nothing about 4 years ago and all still work fine, including one that is
my 24x365 mail and web server.

I used to build my own, and shy away from all "pre-built" boxes. At
work, they shoved a Dell down my throat. I didn't like that particular
"clamshell" box, but otherwise I was so impressed I've replaced
everything at home with Dell commercial-grade, Optiplex systems, and
been darn impressed. I even got one that was thrown by FedEx and had
stuff banging around inside the cabinet, and repaired it and it is my
company web server!

That original desktop has been running since 2002 with no glitches, and
once was up for 470 days straight until a power glitch got it. (Linux,
of course, is the OS.)

I think there may be a big difference between Dell's home-grade and
commercial (Optiplex) systems.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote in :

I think there may be a big difference between Dell's home-grade and
commercial (Optiplex) systems.

There certainly is, and even Dell will tell you so.

The Optiplex line is a much better-built, custom-spec'd, series.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:31:38 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Errol Groff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

I use my leaf blower after pinning the fans with toothpicks...DON'T over-rev
them!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Karl Townsend wrote:

My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

It's old enough that you may have defective electrolytic capacitors
on the motherboard. They caps near the CPU have to be low ESR, and a
lot of chinese caps were made with defective electrolyte. I am still
seeing flaky motherboards with bad or leaking caps.

Do you often see the caps split open?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:01:26 -0500, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare wrote:

It's over 1 1/2 years old - replace the power supply.

What do you base that statement on please?

If that doesn't fix it, it's a Dell - throw it away and get a REAL
computer.

I've been inside a lot of systems, never had a problem or complaint with
Dell's build quality - after all, they're using the same commodity-grade
parts most other builders are using.

The advice to replug all the connectors makes good sense. Not sure that
if the fans are spinning up at all, that it makes sense to suspect the
power supply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:15:29 GMT, the renowned "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Sure, well deserved, but.. define "recent" and "had to"... losing a
week and a half's worth of work is not cheap.. imagine losing a week
and a half's worth of brush shipments. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 18:44:36 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Errol Groff quickly quoth:

wrote:

I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

That's what I said (in between tears of laughter) when I saw it a few
days ago. I quickly snagged it for my own.

--

DON'T VOTE. IT ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

That's what I said (in between tears of laughter) when I saw it a few
days ago. I quickly snagged it for my own.

Seen "your ass will be laminated" a few times around. Little better
play on assimilated, IMO.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

It's old enough that you may have defective electrolytic capacitors
on the motherboard. They caps near the CPU have to be low ESR, and a
lot of chinese caps were made with defective electrolyte. I am still
seeing flaky motherboards with bad or leaking caps.

Do you often see the caps split open?

Some split at the relief stamped into the top of the cans, others blow
the rubber seal at the bottom. Al lot stop working before they blow,
but dome the top of the can, instead of splitting on the relief lines.
some guys make a living repairing out of warranty motherboards:

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Yes. Seen it before. Remove and reseat the CPU. If that doesn't work,
you may have to do the same for the memory and try the power supply
connector,
too. But, I've seen this on many ATX machines. When the power supply
first receives power from the plug, the CPU fires up and checks whether
it is supposed to go to "last state" or "always power on". If the CPU
doesn't respond, the supply powers off again.

Jon

It also starts the standby power supply for wake on lan and similar
needs.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Millwright Ron wrote:

Michael what do you know about the Army Security Agency?

Nothing. Why should I? I've been out of the military for almost 30
years now, and I didn't work in security.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
snip
Sure, well deserved, but.. define "recent" and "had to"... losing a
week and a half's worth of work is not cheap.. imagine losing a week
and a half's worth of brush shipments. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

My slightly anal bookkeeper back-up his data at least 4 times a day to a zip
drive in addition to a RAID mirror. I back-up my drawings as I work on them to
a thumb and documents once a week or so but I have hard copies. We've gotten
bitten and were lucky but the lesson stuck.

I didn't mean to be flip to you, I want to make an impression! It's not a
matter of "If", it's a matter of when!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:01:26 -0500, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare wrote:

It's over 1 1/2 years old - replace the power supply.

What do you base that statement on please?

If that doesn't fix it, it's a Dell - throw it away and get a REAL
computer.

I've been inside a lot of systems, never had a problem or complaint with
Dell's build quality - after all, they're using the same commodity-grade
parts most other builders are using.

The advice to replug all the connectors makes good sense. Not sure that
if the fans are spinning up at all, that it makes sense to suspect the
power supply.

I recently received a truckload of Dell W2K and XP Pro systems.
Every one of them has a blue screen telling me they can't find files
needed to boot, or are dead.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Errol Groff

That has been floating around online for at least ten years.

P.S.: Just wait till they try to delaminate your ass!

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the interesting site! I've had caps blow and sound like a gun shot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-05, Karl Townsend wrote:
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

My first thought would be to open it up and check that all
connectors are fully seated. Pay special attention to any cables from
the power supply to the system board.

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Dell? Sorry. :-( They tend to be less standard than any three
other PCs combined.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds odd - but is a keyboard plugged in the correct hole ? - some won't
work without a keyboard or mouse.

A plug or board within might have dislodged -- take out the case screws
and see if you can spot something a G force got to.

I bet on the cabling... Some motherboards are picky.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Karl Townsend wrote:
My other computer just died... FWIW, it just completed a 2000 trip. Ran fine
before the move. Nothing after.

When you push the button in front to boot the computer, the fans just spin
for a second and nothing else happens. Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

Its an older Dell P4 2 Ghz model.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:53:52 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote in :

I think there may be a big difference between Dell's home-grade and
commercial (Optiplex) systems.

There certainly is, and even Dell will tell you so.

The Optiplex line is a much better-built, custom-spec'd, series.

We have lots of Dell commercial grade equipemnt at work. Except for
Optiplex 620's having a distressing tendancy to lose their power
supply on a power cycle we see excelent reliability.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6 Mar 2008 01:02:15 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:01:26 -0500, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare wrote:

It's over 1 1/2 years old - replace the power supply.

What do you base that statement on please?

If that doesn't fix it, it's a Dell - throw it away and get a REAL
computer.

I've been inside a lot of systems, never had a problem or complaint with
Dell's build quality - after all, they're using the same commodity-grade
parts most other builders are using.

The advice to replug all the connectors makes good sense. Not sure that
if the fans are spinning up at all, that it makes sense to suspect the
power supply.

The major problem I have had over the last 10 years or so (since ATX
took over) has been power supplies.
AT power supplies, and PC before them, usually lasted five or more
years. Very often a WHOLE LOT more.
I am seeing flakey and failed power supplies within warranty on many
consumer grade systems - and a whole lot more that fail just out of
warranty. ANd they fail on the "professional grade" stuff too. Often
exactly the same power supply.

As far as DELL is concerned, their consumer grade stuff is definitely
more troublesome in my experience than a lot of others. Add to that
the fact their "restore disks" very often do not have all the required
drivers for the system they are supplied with. (e-machine stuff is
every bit as bad). Their laptops have been more trouble than the
desktops. (also true of HP/Compaq)
When they sell on price, you cannot expect any more than that.
Yes, the "proffessional grade" stuff is better but I'm not a great fan
of the company or it's products.
And I deal with systems every day.
Power supplies are the biggest problem, no matter what manufacturer,
followed by hard drives and RAM. With the exception of AMD processors,
I have not had a CPU problem in over 5 years (except one on the ASUS
board referenced below). With the exception of AMD specific boards and
DELL computers, I have only had 3 motherboard failures in the last 5
years, and 2 were DOA. The other was an ASUS board owned by a client
who has the damndest luck with ANYTHING technical. Ended up with the
motherboard, processor and power supply dead on that one and I suspect
the power supply was the culprit but could not prove it. Replacing ANY
TWO of the three parts would NOT get the system running. Could be the
motherboard went out and killed the PS, but that doesn't exactly
explain the CPU.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Thanks for the interesting site! I've had caps blow and sound like a gun shot.

A woman at my church asked me to look at her computer. A small
electrolytic exploded in the power supply and shot out through the fan.
That bad power supply destroyed the hard drive, the CD-ROM drive, the
RAM, the CPU and the motherboard. The only thing that was still usable
was the cheap case.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 5, 8:51*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Millwright Ron wrote:

Michael what do you know about the Army Security Agency?

* *Nothing. *Why should I? *I've been out of the military for almost 30
years now, and I didn't work in security.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

I thought that you would know something about the ASA as they were the
Armies version of the NSA. They specialize in electronics.The top ten
percent of the Army and you did not make it ?? All ASA soldiers had a
minimum of a top secret clearance and they served in Vietnam and in
combat. Fighting for our country. Most of their operations are still
classified.
Spooks and Spies are always listening.
Millwright Ron

I thought that you would know someting about ASA as thy are the Armys
version of the NSA. They specilize in electonics

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Millwright Ron wrote:

Michael what do you know about the Army Security Agency?

Nothing. Why should I? I've been out of the military for almost 30
years now, and I didn't work in security.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

I thought that you would know something about the ASA as they were the
Armies version of the NSA. They specialize in electronics.The top ten
percent of the Army and you did not make it ?? All ASA soldiers had a
minimum of a top secret clearance and they served in Vietnam and in
combat. Fighting for our country. Most of their operations are still
classified.
Spooks and Spies are always listening.

Yawn.... ... .. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

My slightly anal bookkeeper back-up his data at least 4 times a day to a zip
drive in addition to a RAID mirror. I back-up my drawings as I work on them to
a thumb and documents once a week or so but I have hard copies. We've gotten
bitten and were lucky but the lesson stuck.

Great, you have data. Have you done a full bare metal bring up boxes from
scratch, put programs and data on them and get back in business restore?

That is from duplicates of os, tape backup, applications software disks as
in the office burned to the ground, the original cd /dvds are gone, paper
files with license keys, ect.

Back when I was doing the IT thing, I had tape, spare tape drive, interface
cards, duplicates of install media, configuration data, ect and once a year
I'd do a disaster restore drill.

Wes