Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Exterior Door is failing

RubEric wrote:
I have a pair of exterior doors that are typical masonite over a
wood frame. Despite my best efforts to seal them, they have become
wet and the masonite has peeled away from the frame. I have reglued
the masonite, and screwed it to the frame but have not been able to
make a good repair. I think the masonite is just not moisture
resistant.

I understand there are fibreglass doors that resist moisture quite
well. My budget won't allow replacing the doors so I have considered
stripping the masonite off the frames and replacing with a
fibreglass sheet. Does this sound like a reasonable approach"

Where are you going to get a fiberglass sheet? The only ones I recall
offhand are the corrugated jobbies. You could get a gallon of
polyester resin and some 6-9oz. fiberglass cloth and cover the
masonite but it would be a lot of work and wouldn't be cheap. Plus,
you'd have to know how to do it.

Any btdt? Any ideas how to make a lasting repair

Go buy a new door. You can get a steel entry door for about $125.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...