Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Door is failing

I have a pair of exterior doors that are typical masonite over a wood
frame. Despite my best efforts to seal them, they have become wet and
the masonite has peeled away from the frame. I have reglued the
masonite, and screwed it to the frame but have not been able to make a
good repair. I think the masonite is just not moisture resistant.

I understand there are fibreglass doors that resist moisture quite
well. My budget won't allow replacing the doors so I have considered
stripping the masonite off the frames and replacing with a fibreglass
sheet. Does this sound like a reasonable approach"

Any btdt? Any ideas how to make a lasting repair

Tnx Eric
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RubEric" wrote in message
I have a pair of exterior doors that are typical masonite over a wood
frame. Despite my best efforts to seal them, they have become wet and
the masonite has peeled away from the frame. I have reglued the
masonite, and screwed it to the frame but have not been able to make a
good repair. I think the masonite is just not moisture resistant.

I understand there are fibreglass doors that resist moisture quite
well. My budget won't allow replacing the doors so I have considered
stripping the masonite off the frames and replacing with a fibreglass
sheet. Does this sound like a reasonable approach"

Any btdt? Any ideas how to make a lasting repair

Tnx Eric

I haven't studied exterior doors much and I don't claim to be an authority
on them, but I've never heard of a masonite exterior door. I'm guessing
someone tried to save some money by using the wrong kind of door.

Even Masonite's exterior doors don't appear to use any exposed masonite:
http://www.masonite.com/productPages_EntryDoors.php

You may have to keep doing hack fixes until you can afford the right door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RubEric wrote:
I have a pair of exterior doors that are typical masonite over a
wood frame. Despite my best efforts to seal them, they have become
wet and the masonite has peeled away from the frame. I have reglued
the masonite, and screwed it to the frame but have not been able to
make a good repair. I think the masonite is just not moisture
resistant.

I understand there are fibreglass doors that resist moisture quite
well. My budget won't allow replacing the doors so I have considered
stripping the masonite off the frames and replacing with a
fibreglass sheet. Does this sound like a reasonable approach"

Where are you going to get a fiberglass sheet? The only ones I recall
offhand are the corrugated jobbies. You could get a gallon of
polyester resin and some 6-9oz. fiberglass cloth and cover the
masonite but it would be a lot of work and wouldn't be cheap. Plus,
you'd have to know how to do it.

Any btdt? Any ideas how to make a lasting repair

Go buy a new door. You can get a steel entry door for about $125.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 7:37�am, "dadiOH" wrote:
RubEric wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

exterior steel insulated door with top window as low as a 100 bucks on
sale, but generally about a 150 bucks. think stanley a big box.

foor those prices why screw around with the old door, new door seals
great.... saves energy

Exterior door lintel Chris UK diy 2 August 8th 07 09:35 AM
varnish exterior door Art Home Repair 0 July 3rd 07 09:29 PM
Need help repairing exterior door [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 8th 05 01:22 AM
Exterior door finish Duckster Woodworking 1 March 18th 05 02:21 PM
Need exterior door help barry martin Home Repair 5 October 24th 04 07:54 AM