Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Door is failing

"RubEric" wrote in message
I have a pair of exterior doors that are typical masonite over a wood
frame. Despite my best efforts to seal them, they have become wet and
the masonite has peeled away from the frame. I have reglued the
masonite, and screwed it to the frame but have not been able to make a
good repair. I think the masonite is just not moisture resistant.

I understand there are fibreglass doors that resist moisture quite
well. My budget won't allow replacing the doors so I have considered
stripping the masonite off the frames and replacing with a fibreglass
sheet. Does this sound like a reasonable approach"

Any btdt? Any ideas how to make a lasting repair

Tnx Eric

I haven't studied exterior doors much and I don't claim to be an authority
on them, but I've never heard of a masonite exterior door. I'm guessing
someone tried to save some money by using the wrong kind of door.

Even Masonite's exterior doors don't appear to use any exposed masonite:
http://www.masonite.com/productPages_EntryDoors.php

You may have to keep doing hack fixes until you can afford the right door.