Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim[_2_] Speedy Jim[_2_] is offline

Default Need to replace Baseboard Heaters with ??

Scott Townsend wrote:
I expected more grief then that! ;-P

The old units look like this: http://tinyurl.com/ywbnz2

Pretty hideous.

If its all Apples to Apple, So maybe something like this then?
http://www.iap-home.com/index.cfm?fu...duct_ID=17 88

I do like this unit though... Seems like the Hydronic would be more
efficient though.
http://www.iap-home.com/index.cfm?fu...duct_ID=17 98

Waste the Energy heating the oil, then the oil still retains the heat.
Exhaust heaters once they are off, you are done...

Scott-

That ceiling heater will blow a blast of
very hot air down on you.

The Hydronic baseboard is nicer and air temps
will be much more suitable. But.....that one is only
1250 watts. Find out the total wattage of the unit
you're ripping out. That's (approx.) how many watts
you'll need.

All of these heaters, whether ceiling, plain baseboard
or baseboard Hydronic are 100% efficient (round numbers).
That means that everything passing thru your meter gets
turned into heat. (Of course, this ignores the fact that
the generating plant, if fossil-fired, is only 35% efficient.)

So, choose a heater which will be adequate size and that
will distribute the heat.

Head to the BigBox store and get draft-stopping supplies.
I'm sure the clerk could assist on that. For next season,
look into doing insulation in walls/ceilings. Only you can
factor in what the budget will support and how big a priority
it is.

Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. net...

Scott Townsend wrote:

So we have a guest house that had 20 year old 220v electric Baseboard
heaters. Flip a few on and watch the Meter Fly!

So I'm looking to replace them with either another baseboard unit, or
a Wall unit.

We have one of the portable radiator type fin units filled with oil
and I like the way it can still heat after the oil's been warmed up.

Do they make a Baseboard heater that I can Mount to the Wall that
does something Similar? I do not want a Portable unit, I want
something Fixed.

Any Suggestions?

Scott-

The question you want to be asking is how replacing
an electric heater with another electric heater
(oil-filled or not) is going to alter the spinning
of the meter.

sarcasm off/

If there is absolutely no other fuel source available,
focus on reducing heat loss (windows, wall/ceiling
insulation, etc.)

Jim