Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:21:52 -0800 (PST), Doc
wrote:

I've got this wok from WalMart that's coated with Xylan, which I
gather is a first cousin of Teflon. Big mistake. It's non-stick
properties aren't very good.

I don't like the idea of simply throwing it out and dumping more money
into a non-coated wok. I'm sure I could strip the coating off with one
of these fibrous abrasive wheels that you bolt onto a hand drill -
wearing a dust mask of course - but is the surface that's exposed
going to be suitable for cooking? Wondering if there's some pre-
treating that's done to the metal that might render it toxic if used
as a cooking surface.

Further, should it be possible to thoroughly remove all the coating
abrasively like that? Obviously I don't want to leave behind small
particles since I assume it's toxic.

Thanks

Howdy,

The drill approach would probably work, but those coatings
are very soft and there might be an easier approach:

I would just try sanding it off by hand with a few sheets of
wet or dry abrasive paper.

That said, I would have a concern:

You asked if the substrate would be suitable for cooking,
but how would one know?

If, for example, it had lead in it, you might be in some
trouble over time.

Though I certainly understand the desire to make good use
out of something you now own, I, personally, would hesitate
(unless I could figure out a way to be sure that the
material was safe for food contact use.)

All the best,
--
Kenneth