Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Robert Allison wrote:

The problem is that the metal is very prone to rusting, so I have
to oil it after every cleaning, and temper it like a cast iron
pan. Since I mostly use it on a fish fryer grill (although I
will use it on the stove), it has held up pretty well. It ain't
pretty by any means, but useful.

How are you "cleaning" it? Wiping it out with a paper towel should be
sufficient. Do not ever subject an iron utensil (or maybe your skillet) to
water.

Water is not the problem, as long as you dry it after rinsing. I set it on the
still hot burner after rinsing. I never use soap on my cast iron. I put a little
hot water in it, scrub with a brush, rinse and dry it on the burner. Then I rub
it with a little oil or butter before the next use. Soap will quickly remove the
seasoning.