Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Replacing door sill question

On Mar 4, 1:52*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 4, 1:09*pm, Mike Dobony wrote:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:14:59 -0800 (PST), Mikepier wrote:
I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?

All the new doors I have seen come with a new sill attached to the jamb.

Mike D.

Are we talking about the same thing? I've seen the new doors at HD and
Lowes that come with the metal "threshold" at the bottom. Are you
saying they also come with a wooden sill that sits under the threshold?

Most window and door distributors, the kind that contractors use, will
sell to the general public, and are typically very helpful with this
type of project. I bought my windows from such a place and when I went
back asking about a door, they gave me all sorts of catalogs,
suggestions and advice. Much more knowledgable than anyone I spoke
with at the borgs.

That's where I'll be getting my door from this spring.