Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing door sill question

I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote
I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?

There are many older homes in my area. The sills were made from oak, that's
b/4 treated lumber came about.

The lumber yards sell oak sills, in various sizes (example 3'0"). They are
already routed, & have a bevel from the door, out. For water drainage. They
are slightly thicker than 1-1/2", though I can't remember the exact size.

It's been probably 5 years since I bought one, and they get a decent buck
for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...051658,00.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 3, 6:33 pm, Bart wrote:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...051658,00.html

Thanks for that link. Even though the article does not mention what
kind of wood it is, it looks like oak from the picture, so I guess
I'll look into it.

Almost all standard sills are either oak or metal. They're readily
available at any decent home supply or building supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 8:43*pm, Steve wrote:
Mikepier wrote on 03 Mar 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?

The last time I replaced a door, I left the old sill in place and pulled
the side frames out. The new pre-hung door fit exactly on top of the old
sill and covered the holes nicely.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

If you use an oak sill, how do you protect it from the elements?
Stain, paint?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:

If you use an oak sill, how do you protect it from the elements?
Stain, paint?

Typically, they're reasonably well protected by the eave overhang,
porch, etc., ...

You can stain to suit, then good exterior varnish. Not much point in
the oak if you're going to paint--the reason for oak beside it being
suitably hard is typically the appearance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?

buy a pre hung door with a sill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 12:02 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?

buy a pre hung door with a sill.

By far the easiest way to go and you'll get superior weatherstripping
results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:14:59 -0800 (PST), Mikepier wrote:

I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?

All the new doors I have seen come with a new sill attached to the jamb.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 1:09*pm, Mike Dobony wrote:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:14:59 -0800 (PST), Mikepier wrote:
I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?

All the new doors I have seen come with a new sill attached to the jamb.

Mike D.

Are we talking about the same thing? I've seen the new doors at HD and
Lowes that come with the metal "threshold" at the bottom. Are you
saying they also come with a wooden sill that sits under the threshold?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 1:52*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 4, 1:09*pm, Mike Dobony wrote:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:14:59 -0800 (PST), Mikepier wrote:
I plan on replacing my front door when the weather gets a little
nicer. I might change out the sill. From what I understand it's just a
pressure treated 2X6. Do they sell a premade one in which the outer
edge is routed to give it a more rounded edge, or do I just by a 2X6
and route it out myself?

All the new doors I have seen come with a new sill attached to the jamb.

Mike D.

Are we talking about the same thing? I've seen the new doors at HD and
Lowes that come with the metal "threshold" at the bottom. Are you
saying they also come with a wooden sill that sits under the threshold?

Most window and door distributors, the kind that contractors use, will
sell to the general public, and are typically very helpful with this
type of project. I bought my windows from such a place and when I went
back asking about a door, they gave me all sorts of catalogs,
suggestions and advice. Much more knowledgable than anyone I spoke
with at the borgs.

That's where I'll be getting my door from this spring.