Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default roofing and flashing question

Larry Caldwell wrote:
In article 3mKyj.5018$6R.4735@trnddc04, (Robert
Allison) says...

I am assuming that Larry is either thinking that this is a
horizontal (non rake) application, or that he has never seen
turnback flashing installed. It goes under the shingles. The
turnback keeps the water from going past the edge of the flashing.

Makes a lump under the shingles if you do it that way. Step flashing
sheds the water on top of the shingles with every course, and is
invisible when properly installed.

Tell me you didn't really install turnback flashing on top of the
shingles. Please.

What happens to the rain that goes under it? How did you fasten
it down so that it won't flap in high winds?

In 35 years of roofing, I have not heard that one before. I
should have known it was coming, though.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.