Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roofing and flashing question

what would be the draw backs to using one full piece of 12" flashing folded
to 6" instead of seperate step flashing when installing new roofing shingles
on an addition where it butts up against an existing vertical wall of the
house? The flashing will be behind siding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is a bit like deciding whether to lace a valley or use exposed
flashing in a valley. They can each work. Some issues are
aesthetic. The continuous flash require more attention to detail,
sealing the bottom of the flashing, cutting back the tops of the
shingles, sealing the shingles.

The step flashing does not require special practices or changing
tools or methods for the roofer.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"gntry" wrote in message
what would be the draw backs to using one full piece of 12"
flashing folded to 6" instead of seperate step flashing when
installing new roofing shingles on an addition where it butts up
against an existing vertical wall of the house? The flashing
will be behind siding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gntry wrote:

what would be the draw backs to using one full piece of 12" flashing folded
to 6" instead of seperate step flashing when installing new roofing shingles
on an addition where it butts up against an existing vertical wall of the
house? The flashing will be behind siding.

Many roofs are done exactly that way, but with a single
'turnback' on the roof side away from the wall. The flashing is
known as turnback flashing, one of the two standard methods for
flashing a roof that meets a vertical wall on the rake.

I think that the step flashing is better, but they are so close
that I don't really care which one is on my house, as long as
they are installed correctly.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 9:34 pm, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
In article 5iEyj.3173$6R.2699@trnddc04, (gntry)
says...

what would be the draw backs to using one full piece of 12" flashing folded
to 6" instead of seperate step flashing when installing new roofing shingles
on an addition where it butts up against an existing vertical wall of the
house? The flashing will be behind siding.

Just appearance. Some people don't like the looks of the flashing,
which would be exposed on top of the shingles. You can't put the
shingles on top of the flashing,because any water running down the wall
would end up under the shingles. Step flashing avoids this problem.

I assumed that the OP was talking about a rake wall situation and that
the flashing would be under the shingles same as in an open valley.
That's what Bob Allison was talking about as well. The flashing would
only be on top of the shingles if the flashing in question was at the
top of the roof that abutted a wall perpendicular to the pitch of the
roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not to mention that you would never use step flashing at that
detail. You would use wall flashing. I am sure that the OP was
talking about on the rake. That is the only place to use step.

I am assuming that Larry is either thinking that this is a
horizontal (non rake) application, or that he has never seen
turnback flashing installed. It goes under the shingles. The
turnback keeps the water from going past the edge of the flashing.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Caldwell wrote:
In article LJdzj.9659$C1.4921@trnddc07, (Robert
Allison) says...

Larry Caldwell wrote:

In article 3mKyj.5018$6R.4735@trnddc04,
(Robert
Allison) says...

I am assuming that Larry is either thinking that this is a
horizontal (non rake) application, or that he has never seen
turnback flashing installed. It goes under the shingles. The
turnback keeps the water from going past the edge of the flashing.

Makes a lump under the shingles if you do it that way. Step flashing
sheds the water on top of the shingles with every course, and is
invisible when properly installed.

Tell me you didn't really install turnback flashing on top of the
shingles. Please.

OK. I don't install turnback flashing on top of shingles. Now you tell
me the turn back doesn't make a lump under shingles.

Thank god. I was not willing to believe that someone would do
that. Doesn't really make a lump, more like a gentle rise.
Hardly noticeable from the ground. Most people cannot even see it.

What happens to the rain that goes under it? How did you fasten
it down so that it won't flap in high winds?

That's why you use step flashing, and interleave it with each course.

I am so glad to hear this. I was worried.

In 35 years of roofing, I have not heard that one before. I
should have known it was coming, though.

After 35 years on construction sites, your hearing isn't what it once
was. You seem to be imagining things.

And I am glad that that is what it was. I am not the only one
that had that same thought, though. Per Ricos post.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]