Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
The Dougster 22044 USA The Dougster 22044 USA is offline

Default What can you do with an arbor press?

On Mar 3, 2:03*pm, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32544.invalid wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I use mine to modulate or sort of amplify hammer blows. I recently
forged the end of a bit of tubing very neatly closed and flat by
pressing the part previously flattened in a vise between the ram and a
spacer block, and then whacking the ram with a sledge while the
pressure was still applied. The result was almost as if the sides of
tubing were brazed together, it was that tightly closed. Much better
results than either method alone; truly a synergetic combination.

You could lathe drill the ram in a four-jaw chuck to hold your stamps
and add a cross pin to align them for very neat stamping of letters
and numbers.

The ram has two ends and on mine I have one slightly crowned while the
other is dead flat. YMMV; whatever two uses you have.

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394.