Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Coldest winter in 15 years, Environment Canada says

Pray tell, why are you posting a winter weather forecast dated from Nov. 30
on March 2nd?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"James" wrote in message
Blast from the past?
Last Updated: Friday, November 30, 2007 | 9:55 PM ET
CBC News
Not since the grunge era and Brian Mulroney's days as prime minister has

Canada
experienced a winter quite as bitter as the one expected to creep in this

December,
Environment Canada forecasted on Friday.

Alex Pawsey shields herself from the elements with an umbrella while

crossing St.
George's Square in Guelph, Ont. on Thursday, March 1, 2007.
(Canadian Press/ Guelph Mercury/ Darren Calabrese)
In its first winter outlook of the year, the agency predicts that until

February,
climates across most of the country will be the coldest in 15 years, with

the
exception of a small pocket in southern Ontario.

Environment Canada senior climatologist David Phillips said the trend in

recent years
of uncharacteristically warm, short winters will be wiped out by a chilly

reminder of
what a real Canadian winter feels like.

Although it won't necessarily be "the winter from hell or face-numbing

wind chills
every time," Phillips said temperature-wise, "we could have conditions

that would be
perhaps three-quarters or a degree colder than normal."

Colder air this year is expected to drive down temperatures.

"We think that with La Nina — which encourages more Canadian air, more

Siberian air,
whatever you want to call it, Alaskan air — it tends to be more of that

flow," he
said, referring to the phenomenon of lower-than-normal temperatures in the

Pacific Ocean.

The cooler climate will likely also blanket some cities with snow after

years without
a white Christmas, he said.

Last year, a number of traditionally cold and snow-covered cities such

as Quebec
City, Ottawa and Timmins, Ont., had their first green Christmas in

decades.

There are several up-sides to the mercury dipping, Phillips said. Winter

sports
enthusiasts might embrace the cooler winter, as would businesses that rely

on the snow.

"I always think it's good for the economy when weather is behaving like it

should,
when winters are cold and summers are hot," he said, adding more people

will likely
book holidays to escape the harsh weather.