Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coldest winter in 15 years, Environment Canada says

Blast from the past?
Last Updated: Friday, November 30, 2007 | 9:55 PM ET
CBC News
Not since the grunge era and Brian Mulroney's days as prime minister has Canada
experienced a winter quite as bitter as the one expected to creep in this December,
Environment Canada forecasted on Friday.

Alex Pawsey shields herself from the elements with an umbrella while crossing St.
George's Square in Guelph, Ont. on Thursday, March 1, 2007.
(Canadian Press/ Guelph Mercury/ Darren Calabrese)
In its first winter outlook of the year, the agency predicts that until February,
climates across most of the country will be the coldest in 15 years, with the
exception of a small pocket in southern Ontario.

Environment Canada senior climatologist David Phillips said the trend in recent years
of uncharacteristically warm, short winters will be wiped out by a chilly reminder of
what a real Canadian winter feels like.

Although it won't necessarily be "the winter from hell or face-numbing wind chills
every time," Phillips said temperature-wise, "we could have conditions that would be
perhaps three-quarters or a degree colder than normal."

Colder air this year is expected to drive down temperatures.

"We think that with La Nina — which encourages more Canadian air, more Siberian air,
whatever you want to call it, Alaskan air — it tends to be more of that flow," he
said, referring to the phenomenon of lower-than-normal temperatures in the Pacific Ocean.

The cooler climate will likely also blanket some cities with snow after years without
a white Christmas, he said.

Last year, a number of traditionally cold and snow-covered cities such as Quebec
City, Ottawa and Timmins, Ont., had their first green Christmas in decades.

There are several up-sides to the mercury dipping, Phillips said. Winter sports
enthusiasts might embrace the cooler winter, as would businesses that rely on the snow.

"I always think it's good for the economy when weather is behaving like it should,
when winters are cold and summers are hot," he said, adding more people will likely
book holidays to escape the harsh weather.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:21:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
James quickly quoth:

Blast from the past?
Last Updated: Friday, November 30, 2007 | 9:55 PM ET
CBC News
Not since the grunge era and Brian Mulroney's days as prime minister has Canada
experienced a winter quite as bitter as the one expected to creep in this December,
Environment Canada forecasted on Friday.

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pray tell, why are you posting a winter weather forecast dated from Nov. 30
on March 2nd?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger Shoaf wrote:
Pray tell, why are you posting a winter weather forecast dated from Nov. 30
on March 2nd?

You wouldn't begrudge the lack of timeliness for accuracys sake, would you?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Are you really going to pretend that you don't know that global warming
refers to the year-round temperature of the entire planet as a whole, and
isn't refuted by the fact that one geographic location happened to have a
cold winter?

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Edward A. Falk wrote in article
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Are you really going to pretend that you don't know that global warming
refers to the year-round temperature of the entire planet as a whole, and
isn't refuted by the fact that one geographic location happened to have a
cold winter?

.....nor is it "proven" by the fact that one-or-more geographic locations -
where official measurement stations have been encroached upon by buildings,
pavement, and other heat-generating structures spewing ventilation towards
measuring instruments - show an "increase" in temperatures,

www.surfacestations.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 06:05:09 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm,
(Edward A. Falk) quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Are you really going to pretend that you don't know that global warming
refers to the year-round temperature of the entire planet as a whole, and
isn't refuted by the fact that one geographic location happened to have a
cold winter?

Are you going to pretend that my statement wasn't a joke? If you're in
fear of the climate changes, here is a list of books to set your mind
at ease. I posted this to Lew earlier this month:

P.S: Leo and Mark never did show any proof for their fears. That's
typical of the fearmongering alarmists these days. sigh

--snip--
Larry, What was that list of books again? I meant to write
thos down and read but now I forget what thread it was on.
This time I'll copy and paste it.
Thanks.
...lew...

Google for any of the authors and it'll bring up all their great
stuff. Huber, Horner, and Lomborg are the best of the best.

From several posts in the "lead" thread:

I'm currently reading Horner's _A Politically Incorrect Guide to
Global Warming and Environmentalism_. I strongly suggest that you
purchase a copy and research his fidings so you can positively refute
Al Gore's statements, just as many other scientists (the other
"consensus") have. Horner devotes an entire chapter to Gore.

If that doesn't suit you, try any of the dozens of books by Bjorn
Lomborg, Patrick Michaels, Fred Singer, Peter Huber, or dozens of
other deniers of your alarmism.

Or read anything from the bibliography of Crichton's _State of Fear_.

I double-dog-dare ya, Leo, to prove (or disprove) it to yourself!
(I had forgotten that it was Leo, too, not just Mark Rand, who was on
the false consensus side.)

---

Stretch evidence to the fact that Global Warming(kumbaya) is all
manmade and is going to kill us and you can have your own Nobel Peace
Prize, too. Note that even in your country, they can't show Gore's
film in schools without a disclaimer of the 9 major errors (aka LIES)
in it. I wonder what he thinks of the volcano under Antarctica...
And how do you explain that the ice on the other 90% of Antarctica
(and Greenland) is thickening during all this nasty and blatant
"warming", hmm?

Whatever happened to scientists being their own skeptics? sigh
Global Warming(kumbaya) climate models have holes miles wide in them.
Why are the alarmists continuing to reduce their scare figures?
Because newer, better data still doesn't support their claims.

C'mon, guys. I dare you to do the research and prove the deniers
wrong!

---
Louis Ohland wrote provided these links:

Sir, allow the powers of technology to address your concerns:

Global Warming - Doomsday Called Off (1/5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5O1HsTVgA

Global Warming - Doomsday Called Off (2/5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD6VBLlWmCI&NR=1

Global Warming - Doomsday Called Off (3/5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZS2eIRkcR0&NR=1

Global Warming - Doomsday Called Off (4/5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIbTJ6mhCqk&NR=1

Global Warming - Doomsday Called Off (5/5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XALmrq3ro&NR=1

If you haven't the time to watch it, let me give you the short
version.
Global warming is a scam.

Mark Rand wrote:
You're denying the accepted scientific position, justify your
denial...

(To which I added:

I love John Christy's ending statement:
"When one talks about climate models and observations, I'm reminded of
a climate scientist one time who said 'My model is right. It's the
real world which is wrong.' And I think that's what we've seen in
many cases. And, so, using observations is not as exotic, it is not
as dramatic in many cases, and, uh, occupies sort of a lower level in
the climate hierarchy of who gets attention. Because climate modeling
enterprizes are very expensive, so they have to have these
constituencies built up that seek to maintain their, um, work.
Observationalists generally do not have that, uh, same attention, and
so developing the observational data sets is sort of the weak sister
in the climate community, yet climate observations are supposed to
represent the truth, not the theory, against which our theory is to be
checked. I believe in observations and that this is where our basis
for climate change should be understood, and the perspective from
which we should see the future. If you look at the past, I don't think
the perspective of the future is all that bad." I think he meant
"projection (or prospects) for the future" in that last sentence.)

---

I forgot to add another book. I haven't read it yet, but Dennis Avery
and Fred Singer wrote _Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years_
http://tinyurl.com/yr9adn
Book Description
Supported by in-depth scientific evidence, Singer and Avery present
the compelling concept that global temperatures have been rising
mostly or entirely because of a natural cycle. Unstoppable Global
Warming explains why we're warming, why it's not very dangerous, and
why we can't stop it anyway.

-

Kindly note that not one single global warming(kumbaya) believer here
has acknowledged any of the data in any of those books nor have they
provided cites to disprove any of the data. That's probably because
they can't. (I'll leave it up to the reader to discern what I meant by
that.
--snip--

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done
or left undone in the short run determines the long run.
-- Sydney J. Harris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:21:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
James quickly quoth:

Blast from the past?
Last Updated: Friday, November 30, 2007 | 9:55 PM ET
CBC News
Not since the grunge era and Brian Mulroney's days as prime minister has
Canada
experienced a winter quite as bitter as the one expected to creep in this
December,
Environment Canada forecasted on Friday.

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Edmonton Sun, March 3, 2008:

"A winter that was forecasted to be the coldest in 15 years was actually
bookended by periods of unseasonably balmy temperatures.
"Environment Canada meteorologist Lisa Coldwells said although the middle of
the season - which isn't officially over until March 20 - was particularly
frigid, this winter has been warmer than average.

'"I think what happened is we had a later start to winter because it really
didn't start until the end of November, and then by the middle of February
it all changed again and we ended up breaking up that arctic air and pushing
it into Saskatchewan," said Coldwells.

"Last fall, Environment Canada was predicting most of Canada, including
Edmonton, would be locked in a La Nina weather effect with the coldest
weather seen in at least 15 years."

Better luck next time, Larry. d8-)

--

Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Are you really going to pretend that you don't know that global warming
refers to the year-round temperature of the entire planet as a whole, and
isn't refuted by the fact that one geographic location happened to have a
cold winter?

Newsmax.com -
February 22, 2008: Global Warming? New Data Shows Ice Is Back

Are the world's ice caps melting because of climate change, or are the
reports just a lot of scare mongering by the advocates of the global
warming theory?
Scare mongering appears to be the case, according to reports from the
U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) that reveal
that almost all the allegedly “lost” ice has come back. A NOAA report
shows that ice levels which had shrunk from 5 million square miles in
January 2007 to just 1.5 million square miles in October, are almost
back to their original levels.
Moreover, a Feb. 18 report in the London Daily Express showed that there
is nearly a third more ice in Antarctica than usual, challenging the
global warming crusaders and buttressing arguments of skeptics who deny
that the world is undergoing global warming.
The Daily express recalls the photograph of polar bears clinging on to a
melting iceberg which has been widely hailed as proof of the need to
fight climate change and has been used by former Vice President Al Gore
during his "Inconvenient Truth" lectures about mankind’s alleged impact
on the global climate.
Gore fails to mention that the photograph was taken in the month of
August when melting is normal. Or that the polar bear population has
soared in recent years.
As winter roars in across the Northern Hemisphere, Mother Nature seems
to have joined the ranks of the skeptics.
As the Express notes, scientists are saying the northern Hemisphere has
endured its coldest winter in decades, adding that snow cover across the
area is at its greatest since 1966. The newspaper cites the one
exception — Western Europe, which had, until the weekend when
temperatures plunged to as low as -10 C in some places, been basking in
unseasonably warm weather.
Around the world, vast areas have been buried under some of the heaviest
snowfalls in decades. Central and southern China, the United States, and
Canada were hit hard by snowstorms. In China, snowfall was so heavy that
over 100,000 houses collapsed under the weight of snow.
Jerusalem, Damascus, Amman, and northern Saudi Arabia report the
heaviest falls in years and below-zero temperatures. In Afghanistan,
snow and freezing weather killed 120 people. EvenBaghdad had a
snowstorm, the first in the memory of most residents.
AFP news reports icy temperatures have just swept through south China,
stranding 180,000 people and leading to widespread power cuts just as
the area was recovering from the worst weather in 50 years, the
government said Monday. The latest cold snap has taken a severe toll in
usually temperate Yunnan province, which has been struck by heavy
snowfalls since Thursday, a government official from the provincial
disaster relief office told AFP.
Twelve people have died there, state Xinhua news agency reported, and
four remained missing as of Saturday.
An ongoing record-long spell of cold weather in Vietnam's northern
region, which started on Jan. 14, has killed nearly 60,000 cattle,
mainly bull and buffalo calves, local press reported Monday. By Feb. 17,
the spell had killed a total of 59,962 cattle in the region, including
7,349 in the Ha Giang province, 6,400 in Lao Cai, and 5,571 in Bac Can
province, said Hoang Kim Giao, director of the Animal Husbandry
Department under the Vietnamese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural
Development, according to the Pioneer newspaper.
In Britain the temperatures plunged to -10 C in central England,
according to the Express, which reports that experts say that February
could end up as one of the coldest in Britain in the past 10 years with
the freezing night-time conditions expected to stay around a frigid -8 C
until at least the middle of the week. And the BBC reports that a bus
company's efforts to cut global warming emissions have led to services
being disrupted by cold weather.
Meanwhile Athens News reports that a raging snow storm that blanketed
most of Greece over the weekend and continued into the early morning
hours on Monday, plunging the country into sub-zero temperatures. The
agency reported that public transport buses were at a standstill on
Monday in the wider Athens area, while ships remained in ports, public
services remained closed, and schools and courthouses in the more
severely-stricken prefectures were also closed.
Scores of villages, mainly on the island of Crete, and in the
prefectures of Evia, Argolida, Arcadia, Lakonia, Viotia, and the
Cyclades islands were snowed in.
More than 100 villages were snowed-in on the island of Crete and
temperatures in Athens dropped to -6 C before dawn, while the coldest
temperatures were recorded in Kozani, Grevena, Kastoria and Florina,
where they plunged to -12 C

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/...html?id=332289

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature...ticle10866.htm

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I forgot to add another book. I haven't read it yet, but Dennis Avery
and Fred Singer wrote _Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years_
http://tinyurl.com/yr9adn
Book Description
Supported by in-depth scientific evidence, Singer and Avery present
the compelling concept that global temperatures have been rising
mostly or entirely because of a natural cycle. Unstoppable Global
Warming explains why we're warming, why it's not very dangerous, and
why we can't stop it anyway.

I read this onePretty good but it does get a little(more than a little)
repetious. Haven't run the others down yet.
Thanks.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Well, it SNOWED here in Dallas last night.

And I've had over 10 days this winter without the AC, pus about 10
more where I needed more heat. My electric bills are down for the
entire year of 2007, compared to the previous five years.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:32:45 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I forgot to add another book. I haven't read it yet, but Dennis Avery
and Fred Singer wrote _Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years_
http://tinyurl.com/yr9adn
Book Description
Supported by in-depth scientific evidence, Singer and Avery present
the compelling concept that global temperatures have been rising
mostly or entirely because of a natural cycle. Unstoppable Global
Warming explains why we're warming, why it's not very dangerous, and
why we can't stop it anyway.

I read this onePretty good but it does get a little(more than a little)
repetious. Haven't run the others down yet.
Thanks.
...lew...

Jewelcome. Here ya go, a perfect second read: $6.36 delivered, used
(happily recycled) http://tinyurl.com/26ce5g
Peter Huber's _Hard Green_

--
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.
--Troy P, usenet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:59:55 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Well, it SNOWED here in Dallas last night.

And I've had over 10 days this winter without the AC, pus about 10
more where I needed more heat. My electric bills are down for the
entire year of 2007, compared to the previous five years.

Butsh's Fault!!!!

chuckle

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Are you really going to pretend that you don't know that global warming
refers to the year-round temperature of the entire planet as a whole, and
isn't refuted by the fact that one geographic location happened to have a
cold winter?

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

It wasn't all that cold in my part of Canada! I had flowers blooming all
winter.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Are you really going to pretend that you don't know that global warming
refers to the year-round temperature of the entire planet as a whole, and
isn't refuted by the fact that one geographic location happened to have a
cold winter?

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

It wasn't all that cold in my part of Canada! I had flowers blooming all
winter.

Steve R.

Midnight Jan. 7 I took pictures of dew worms crawling on the driveway.
The temperature was +14 deg.C.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:20:16 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Well, it SNOWED here in Dallas last night.

And I've had over 10 days this winter without the AC, pus about 10
more where I needed more heat. My electric bills are down for the
entire year of 2007, compared to the previous five years.

Butsh's Fault!!!!

chuckle

My heating and A/C bills have been 20% lower since last summer, too,
with no change at all in the thermostat settings for any of the 4
pre-programmed time periods each day.

--
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.
--Troy P, usenet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Well, it SNOWED here in Dallas last night.

And I've had over 10 days this winter without the AC, pus about 10
more where I needed more heat. My electric bills are down for the
entire year of 2007, compared to the previous five years.

Butsh's Fault!!!!

chuckle

My heating and A/C bills have been 20% lower since last summer, too,
with no change at all in the thermostat settings for any of the 4
pre-programmed time periods each day.

Bush's Fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Well, it SNOWED here in Dallas last night.

And I've had over 10 days this winter without the AC, pus about 10
more where I needed more heat. My electric bills are down for the
entire year of 2007, compared to the previous five years.

Butsh's Fault!!!!

chuckle

My heating and A/C bills have been 20% lower since last summer, too,
with no change at all in the thermostat settings for any of the 4
pre-programmed time periods each day.

Bush's Fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner

Nope.

It was a cold day in hell - and chilly here too.

The Hildabeaste won

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Well, it SNOWED here in Dallas last night.

And I've had over 10 days this winter without the AC, pus about 10
more where I needed more heat. My electric bills are down for the
entire year of 2007, compared to the previous five years.

Butsh's Fault!!!!

chuckle

My heating and A/C bills have been 20% lower since last summer, too,
with no change at all in the thermostat settings for any of the 4
pre-programmed time periods each day.

Bush's Fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner

Nope.

It was a cold day in hell - and chilly here too.

The Hildabeaste won

Good! The longer she and Obama butt heads, the more money they have
to spend out of their warchests, and the nastier their campaigns get.

Quite frankly..would you rather it be a Marxist in November that
nobody hates, or a Socialist that everybody hates, running for
President?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

[...]

None of the above...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

From several posts in the "lead" thread:

Mark Rand wrote:
[...]

Could you let us know what books you have read by reputable climate
scientists who do believe that the accepted fact of a warming planet is
caused by man. There is a huge amount of data from climate scientists that
support the view that the warming of the planet is caused by man. Maybe they
think that the increase of carbon in the atmosphere from 280 ppm before the
industrial revolution to 380 ppm now is the result of burning fossil fuels.
You have a few sources making the case there is no man made global warming
but you don't seem to have any that support the other side of the question.
If you expect anyone to believe your data you better have what the other
side has to show too. You seem to have neglected that. Could it be that your
political view determined your scientific one? Because from what I have seen
the only people who don't think man is making the planet hotter are right
wingers. Isn't that true? Got any anti global warming research from
"liberal" scientists? Or are all your scientists former employees of tobacco
companies?

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that
(Edward A. Falk) wrote on Tue, 4 Mar 2008
06:05:09 +0000 (UTC) in rec.crafts.metalworking :

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Are you really going to pretend that you don't know that global warming
refers to the year-round temperature of the entire planet as a whole,

and
isn't refuted by the fact that one geographic location happened to have

cold winter?

But when the average temperatures for the year are a half degree
centigrade lower than the year before - now that's Global Warming. Err
cooling.

Quick, someone throw another log on the sun, it seems to be going
out.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed

Well, it SNOWED here in Dallas last night.

I guess that settles it then. What more proof do you need that there is no
global warming than that? Who needs science when we have this kind of
proof?

Hawke

And yesterday the ice cubes in vodka tonics didn't melt for *two hours* in
Clearwater, Florida. I have it on good authority. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:16:27 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Good! The longer she and Obama butt heads, the more money they have
to spend out of their warchests, and the nastier their campaigns get.

Quite frankly..would you rather it be a Marxist in November that
nobody hates, or a Socialist that everybody hates, running for
President?

Gunner

How come Condi hasn't entered the race, or is she planning a last
minute effort?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that "Steve R."
wrote on Wed, 05 Mar 2008 03:22:48 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn that global warming(kumbaya).

Are you really going to pretend that you don't know that global warming
refers to the year-round temperature of the entire planet as a whole, and
isn't refuted by the fact that one geographic location happened to have a
cold winter?

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

It wasn't all that cold in my part of Canada! I had flowers blooming all
winter.

Listening to a lecture from Eagle river Alaska. The guy lives in
northern Idaho, and said that when he arrive in Anchorage, it was the
warmest place he'd been on the entire trip. Make of it what you will.

And the electric co-op informs me that last year the average low
and high was 36 and 45 degrees Fahrenheit. This year, it was 35 and
43. No wonder my bill soared to $33 a month!

tschus
pyotr