Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reefer Trailer's AirConditioner Compressor - Oil??

I believe that - but today, a mas spec machine would point out the facts.
Simple test.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Jerry Foster wrote:
"bear" wrote in message
Ok, there is metal content.

I managed to get a former refrigerated trailer, that was last used as
a rental storage unit... anyhow it has a small diesel engine (nice!)
directly coupled to what looks like a two lung compressor.

Now here's the question, WHAT is/was used as lubricant for the
compressor unit??

This is a 30 year old trailer - so whatever was used then is
most likely in there now.

The problem is that the a-hole "code enforcement" person is
telling me that it represents a "hazardous material". I think
he is likely talking out of the wrong hole - but I prefer to slam
dunk people like that with insurmountable evidence and facts, arguing
with idiots is a waste of time and energy.

Anyone KNOW what the stuff is, what trade names are typical?
That way I can get the MSDS for it.

I'd think there's maybe a quart or so in it??

Anything special about the compressor oil or its characteristics?
Like will it evaporate in open air or some such thing??

HELP!!

_-_-bear

The real problem is that you don't know what the oil is. It is easy to come
up with a manual or something that tells what the oil should be, but that
doesn't mean that's what's in it.

I knew a guy who had a business reconditioning used farm equipment. He, of
course, bought oil by the barrel. Somebody backed a tractor into a 55
gallon drum that had, maybe, fifteen or twenty gallons left in it. He was
required to dig out all the "contaminated" dirt and ship it to a "certified"
landfill three states away. Then, one fine day, the local oil dealer was
delivering him a barrel and dropped it off the truck and busted it. But
that was OK. No special "cleanup" was required. The reason, legally, was
that this new barrel was sealed and, therefore, its contents were known and
could be certified as to their characteristics. A barrel that had been
opened legally contained an "unknown" substance and, therefore, had to be
dealt with as highly hazardous.

Just your tax dollars at work...

Jerry