Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Bosch vs. Festool vs. Fein sanders and vacs

"Tony Jester" wrote in message
et...
Hi.
I have A LOT of sanding to do, including the entire timberframe of my
house,
plus hundreds of square feet of 1X4 T&G fir we're using on an inside wall.
All this sanding is going to be done INSIDE an almost finished house, so
dust would be a big problem. I think a 6" random orbital sander would be
the best choice and am considering the Festool RO150 and the Bosch 1250
DEVS. I'm sure they both do a go job of sanding, but is one better in
terms
of ease of use? If one was even slightly less tiring to use, I'd go for
that considering how many hours I'm going to be spending using it.

My other dilema is the dust extractor. Festool CT Mini, CT Midi, CT 22
vs.
Fein Turbo II. I like the outward design of the Festool models, but the
Fine _seems_ like the winner based on noise. 72 db vs. 57.8 db is a big
difference. Has anyone heard them both? Is there really that much
difference between them?

I would sincerely appreciate any help from those who have experience with
the different models. Thanks!

-Tony-

Bosch sanders and drills seem to break when I use them. :~) I have the
Festool Rotex and if you need there to be a minimum of dust, that sander and
the Festool vac work great together. the Fein vac is said to be quite good
also. The RO150 and RO125 in the aggressive modes can keep up with a belt
sander. I can edge sand 3/4" stock with basically 2" of the 5" disk
overhanging on both sides and no dust gets away, well maybe a trace after a
couple of hours. The Rotex has a 3 year warranty and a 30 day money back
guarantee so there is no risk. The Festool sand paper seems to be quire
reasonably priced and last along time with the superior dust extraction.
The Festool sander is louder than the CT22 vacuum. I cannot hear the vacuum
on full speed when the sander is turned on. That goes for their lighter
duty ROS also. Turning the suction down on the Festool vacuum makes it even
quieter. Quiet is good but IMHO quieter than the tool you have hooked up to
it is plenty.
I think if you try both models out, most Festool dealers will let you to
that, you will find the Festool is up to the task.