Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bear bear is offline

Default Reefer Trailer's AirConditioner Compressor - Oil??

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Hey Bear: How about forcing the "Code Enforcement Nazi" to produce the
evidence that the material qualifies as hazardous. Those folks throw their
weight around and we have to jump thru hoops. Lets get them to do some hoop
jumping. They are getting paid.

Believe me, I will do just that, as soon as I have the facts irrefutably
correct first!

_-_-bear

Stu (Fed up with Building Code idiots.) Fields
wrote in message
On Mar 1, 8:30 am, bear wrote:
Ok, there is metal content.

I managed to get a former refrigerated trailer, that was last used as
a rental storage unit... anyhow it has a small diesel engine (nice!)
directly coupled to what looks like a two lung compressor.

Now here's the question, WHAT is/was used as lubricant for the
compressor unit??

This is a 30 year old trailer - so whatever was used then is
most likely in there now.

The problem is that the a-hole "code enforcement" person is
telling me that it represents a "hazardous material". I think
he is likely talking out of the wrong hole - but I prefer to slam
dunk people like that with insurmountable evidence and facts, arguing
with idiots is a waste of time and energy.

Anyone KNOW what the stuff is, what trade names are typical?
That way I can get the MSDS for it.

I'd think there's maybe a quart or so in it??

Anything special about the compressor oil or its characteristics?
Like will it evaporate in open air or some such thing??

HELP!!

_-_-bear

Typically, using Freon, the lubricating oil would be a highly refined
mineral oil, no additives. No hazard there other than the oil
itself. Would go in the oil recycling tank at the local parts joint.
Any refrigerant disolved in there would rapidly go away once it hits
normal air.

Are you looking to junk the unit or refurb it? To be legal, you'd
need to get someone involved to suction out what refrigerant is left
and they'd have to use a recycling unit compatible with whatever is in
there, mixing types just generates a tank of hazardous waste.
Probably what the green nazi was worried about.

Stan