Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25173 Ignoramus25173 is offline

Default Removing paint from crevices

On 2008-03-02, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus25173 wrote:

I bought a Famco 3R press today. $80 from Craigslist. According to
some eBay auction descriptions, it can do up to 4 tons of force.

It weighs, I would say, 170 lbs. It is about all I can lift by
myself. While it is in good physical shape, no major rust, etc, its
paint flaked off in about 3/4 of its area.

I decided to clean it up and repaint it. To that end, I removed paint
from easy to access areas using a 4" grinder and a cup brush. That
took care of 80% of paintable surface. However, that left a lot of
crevices uncleaned.

To clean, them, I am leaning towards visiting Harbor Freight and
buying some sandblasting gun and just sandblasting those places.

Would anyone have any suggestions here?

Also, what primer would you use to paint it.

I am kind of tempted to paint it in some fun color like red.

thanks

One thing I've done on occasion is to take a torch and burn the paint in
a crevice, then scrape it off. It might be easier to just feather the
edges and paint over it.

Would that work on heavy cast pieces? Would the heat not be absorbed?